cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet standard webspace

FIXED
Nigehenry

Plusnet standard webspace

I have been a Plusnet customer for many years but I have never used the 250Mb webspace which came with my account. However, I recently came across an old website which I made many years ago and wanted to "put it up there" for others to see. I followed the instructions on the website settings page but I keep getting the same error from CuteFTP that the uesrname or password is incorrect and I am unable to connect to the FTP server. I don't know whether the password I need to enter is the original one I had when I first joined Plusnet, or whether the webspace has just become inactive because I've never used it. Can anybody give me some help?

17 REPLIES 17
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet standard webspace

it should be your normal Member Centre username/password, although there are odd occasions where the two can fall out of sync.

Were you originally a Plusnet customer, or do you have a Force9 or FreeOnline account. You'll need to make sure you're using the correct FTP server address:

ftp.plus.net

ftp.force9.net

ftp.free-online.net

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Nigehenry

Thanks Bob, I have always been a plusnet customer so I have used ftp.plus.net with my current username and password. No joy.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've tried to fix this for you, give it a few hours and try again. Let us know how you get on.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Nigehenry

Thanks for trying to help, but I still cannot connect. Please see below error script from CuteFTP; it seems to be a password problem:

220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
STATUS:> [10/08/2017 07:42:09] Connected. Authenticating...
COMMAND:> [10/08/2017 07:42:09] USER nigehenry
[10/08/2017 07:42:12] 331 Password required for nigehenry
COMMAND:> [10/08/2017 07:42:12] PASS *****
[10/08/2017 07:42:12] 530 Login incorrect.
ERROR:> [10/08/2017 07:42:12] Not logged in.
ERROR:> [10/08/2017 07:42:12] Can't login. Disconnecting...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Should be sorted now if you want to give it another shot?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Nigehenry

Thanks very much Bob, my website is now up and running again after 10+ years LOL!

www.nigehenry.plus.com

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Oooh the atari ST! That thing was legendary once. We had a 520 STFM with an upgraded ram to 4MB. It was awesome for a while but short lived as tech was already moving ahead and atari were dead in the water. The other thing was that so much software was shareware / not free that being skint, crippled versions made it all a bit limiting. Switching to a PC made life a lot more enjoyable.

I do miss the atari though, it was a machine capable of a lot in the right hands and it died far too early.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RetiredNow
Dabbler

Hello! I have exactly the same story as Nigehenry: tried to use my standard webspace for the first time ever but I'm getting the same 530 error. Is there anything you can do to help, please?

Thanks,

Nick

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RetiredNow, I've pushed some buttons at this side. Can you keep an eye on it and let me know if it's still not working this time tomorrow?

Edit: Should be working now:

~ $ ftp ftp.plus.net
Connected to ftp.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
 will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
 dialled into our network.

A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this
 server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
Name (ftp.plus.net:pi): **************op
331 Password required for **************op
Password:
230 User **************op logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

RetiredNow
Dabbler

Brilliant! Thank you! I've been able to upload a new index.htm file to the web space which I couldn't do before. It doesn't appear yet, when I point my browser at the address, but I presume (hope) that's just a matter of time. You'd never guess that I'm a total newby, would you? <grin>

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@RetiredNow Apologies for so many questions, but a few things to confirm. Thumbs_Up

Did you create the index.htm file using a text editor (eg notepad) and not a word processor?
Upload it as ASCII text and not binary?
Put the file into /htdocs and not the root directory '/'?
Use lower case letters and remove any existing index files.

David
RetiredNow
Dabbler

@spraxyt Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. Of course, the one thing you didn't ask was whether I'd flushed the browser cache before trying to look at the new page......

...is there an ASCII sequence for a Homer Simpson style "Doh!" ?

Thanks again,

Nick

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@RetiredNow
Yes, there is here you go:
And I cheated using an on-line converter, should have done the work myself. Feel a bit ashamed 😄
RetiredNow
Dabbler

Just a little follow-up...

I'm here in sunny Buenos Aires, Argentina and I've just uploaded a couple of pictures to my web space.

Please don't go and look: the html is execrable and I'm struggling to remember how to code but that's my problem and I'll deal with it.

My point is that I'm here in sunny Buenos Aires, Argentina and I've just uploaded a couple of pictures to my web space.

I was under the impression that one could only access the basic Plusnet Standard Webspace from within Plusnet and here I am - about as far from Plusnet as one could possibly be and I'm using it.

If I've got it wrong - not uncommon - and I'm supposed to be able to access it from outside Plusnet then obviously I'm delighted. If I shouldn't be able to do this then, this is me flagging up the situation in case there's a potential security issue here.

Adios amigos!

Nick