Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet's view of USO solutions

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Plusnet's view of USO solutions

Next year the USO comes into effect, which will allow anyone with a connection speed of less than 10Mbps down (1Mbps up) to request a faster line. It seems that BT (as USO provider) will in most cases provide a faster connection using 4G.

As Plusnet don't provide a 4G data solution, this means that any sub-USO customers that want a faster connection won't be able to stay with Plusnet - which will presumably mean that Plusnet will lose most of its remaining ADSL/ADSL2+ customers, and any with a slow FTTC connection. As Plusnet also don't offer FTTP, their customer base may be set to reduce significantly.

I guess this may tie in with the question about whether Plusnet will be subsumed by BT, but I'd be interested in any thoughts others may have?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Plusnet's view of USO solutions

It's impossible for us to know what impact this will have on Plusnet without knowing how many customers have slow speed and want to upgrade. I note that the installation cost is limited to £3400 above which the USO is removed, unless others pick up the difference.

I also note that the cost of the faster service has to be 'affordable'. What is affordable for some will not be for others. The only things you can be pretty sure of are that affordable doesn't mean the budget end of the market and that it won't be BT executives and shareholders picking up the price tag.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Plusnet's view of USO solutions

I guess that Plusnet being subsumed by BT may be part of the USO solution - I expect they will provide EE 4G as a USO solution after all.

It will probably still rule me out as a Plusnet Business customer post USO, as the EE 4G solutions are currently too limited (and expensive).