cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet now charge us to ghost call or mobiles

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

Plusnet now charge us to ghost call or mobiles

I don't know how many of us use our landline to ring our mobiles when we can't find them. Quite a few I'd guess! For the last couple of months I've noticed some extra charges appearing on my Anytime contract. When I spoke to customer Service they told me it was for calls to mobile numbers (they were mine or my wifes) the phone was never answered because as soon as the mobile phone rang, we hung up. But Plusnet are now charging 37p every time we do just this. It is made up of a 22p call set fee (connection) and the minimum of one minute phone call even if we don't answer. I said to customer service, why weren't we informed about this change of policy and he replied "it isn't a change of policy, we never used to charge for it but now we do"!! I said, "well that constitutes a change of policy". He disagreed.

Be warned people, look at those bills at the end of each month!!

20 REPLIES 20
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet now charge us to ghost call or mobiles

I believe the policy hasn't, in fact changed. Plusnet have always passed on the charge. However that charge might have been zero because BT didn't make a charge. Now it seems they do.

Overall this is a tricky one because it implies a charge is incurred if a call to a mobile is made even if the call goes unanswered. This has ben debated in the past, probably worth another review in view of changes in the way calls are charged.

David
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Disgruntled99, thanks for your post.

I'll be completely honest - I'm going to need to get our managers to have a look at this and so will aim to provide a response on Monday.

Please let us know if you need further assistance in the meantime.

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

Cheers David, that is a much more understanding approach than I had considered 🙂

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi all,

I want to clear up any misunderstandings here and ensure we are all on the page.

There are no charges for dialling a mobile number, charges are only incurred if the call is answered or if it diverts to voicemail, even if the divert is because the phone is off or has no signal.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@JonoH  I think we all understand that it what the situation 'should' be .

@BD s reply in the other thread 'Just to clarify, we don't charge for calls unless the calls connect to a network' is the crux of the matter I.e when is a call treated as connected by the mobile network. I suspect that mobile networks may treat the call as connected when they accept it from the pstn network.At this point they will send the call connected to BT and thus charging will be started.

They should not be doing this and maybe it's not all networks and/or all of the time. Proving what's happening will require cooperation of the mobile networks and will be difficult

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

"There are no charges for dialling a mobile number, charges are only incurred if the call is answered or if it diverts to voicemail, even if the divert is because the phone is off or has no signal."

But on another of my posts a community helper said

"Just to clarify, we don't charge for calls unless the calls connect to a network."

Is that as soon as the mobile rings?

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

It shouldn't be difficult for us to test. If you let me know the mobile network I'll make a call from one of our test lines and see what happens. 

@Disgruntled99  The other community helper isnt me 😎 in all seriousness that time shouldn't start when the phone rings.

Let us know the network and I'll make sure theres nothing funny happening. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH  maybe you ought to test with PN mobile as well anyway , or have you already tried that ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Could it also be affected where the number has been "transferred" from one mobile provider to another.  If I remember correctly isn't there some kind of forwarding involved with that?

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

Excuse my ignorance JonoH, but what is PN?

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

Here's the rub, my mobile is with Plusnet too!! 😂

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Disgruntled99  Sorry, PN is short for PlusNet

That should make testing easy for @JonoH  then 🙂 I would guess there are plenty of PlusNet mobiles in the office to test with !

Disgruntled99
Dabbler

Well, thanks to all who been involved...moderators, helpers and customers. Whether it is or isn't charged on answer or just when it rings, I still don't feel I've read an unequivocal response, but I guess some people might scrutinise their bills a little more carefully for a while. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I didn't think we're done yet, Jono is hopefully going to do some testing and get definitive results