cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet / madasafish / Freenetname

jorvikmik
Grafter

Plusnet / madasafish / Freenetname

We set up a local community site 13 years ago with freenetname (www.graemsay.org.uk) and it has run with no real problems until yesterday when madasafish emailed to say that they had stopped ftp traffic as we had exceeded useage (100mb).
We stopped webcam upload to the site and phoned to inform them that we had done this and would stop using the site for any live data. Then they stopped access to the site altogether with a 'forbidden access' notice which needless to say has resulted in lots of calls from folk who cannot access the site.
Then when checking out the options I find that plusnet who we have 5 accounts with is the owner of madasafish but as there is no domain management panel Is there any way of sorting out this type of problem. Transfer the dns to one of our plusnet webspace would be ideal but we have other servers available which we could use.
Would be grateful for any advice as the site is used by local island folk to see what time the local ferry is due and is it on time.
Mike
6 REPLIES 6
jorvikmik
Grafter

Re: Plusnet / madasafish / Freenetname

Problem is now resolved but it has brought to light the fact that I have been paying about £20 a year (not a large amount but it all adds up) for a legacy email account to madasafish when it looks like I should have this transferred over to one of our plusnet accounts. Just not sure how to go about it without a lot of bother.
Would it be better to set it up with another hosting company that offers a domain management panel like 'fasthosts' so that I always have hands on control.
Any advice welcome
Mike
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Mike,
Glad to see that the traffic issue is resolved. Regarding the transfer of the domain, I'd suggest <a href="https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=wizard&page=22931&wizard_id=38/">raising a ticket</a> on each of your Plusnet accounts and requesting for the transfer of your domain(it will just be transferred to one account). Our support team will then pick this up and arrange that for you.
I hope this helps, any other questions just ask.
Chris
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jorvikmik
the site is used by local island folk to see what time the local ferry is due and is it on time.

... just went and looked at your (now-reinstated) Graemsay site, and followed the link for Papa Westray, out of interest (rented a cottage from the RSPB there in 1988, long story).  I do remember we (me and two small boys) couldn't get off the island as scheduled on 29th Feb 1988 - low quay and the seas were too high for the boat to dock. The plane (10-seater or whatever) hadn't got room for us, but we got a flight the next morning and managed to make the connecting flight from Kirkwall because it had been delayed due to ice on the runway.  Challenging, Orkney winters, in some ways : /  a very happy time there, though.
Just read the 'diary' page on your site and it brought back very much the way things were, in Orkney.  Everyone was very welcoming and friendly, and when my sons got chicken pox (two weeks' incubation period since the last day at playgroup, in England) the doctor came out on the speedboat from Westray, and local people brought vegetables from their farms and magazines for me and toys (including lego) from their lofts, for the boys.  Plus our nearest neighbours (a wonderful couple) arranged shopping, coal for the fire (sooooo cold) and ferried washing to and from the machines at the guesthouse.  We ended up renting a TV from Kirkwall (arrived by boat, along with the sheep and everything else the boat carries) but once the boys were recovered a lot more time was spent outdoors - a very peaceful and natural environment, Papay (our cottage was next to the bird sanctuary).
Glad your website's sorted, anyway - brought back some very happy memories - might drop by and visit again, some time Smiley
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Would it be better to set it up with another hosting company that offers a domain management panel like 'fasthosts' so that I always have hands on control.

Hint: Almost anyone but fasthosts!
jorvikmik
Grafter

Thanks Chris - will do that as soon as I get a chance.
PENNY
Just bought a small boat engine off a chap on Papa Westray but never been there. Been to Westray a couple of times, first to grandsons wedding to a Westray lass and then the wife and I went for a few days on our Golden Wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. A beautiful spot
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

PENNY
Just bought a small boat engine off a chap on Papa Westray but never been there. Been to Westray a couple of times, first to grandsons wedding to a Westray lass and then the wife and I went for a few days on our Golden Wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. A beautiful spot

A little surprised you've never been there ... but then we only saw the other islands from the boat on the way to Papa Westray, aside from our time in Kirkwall.  Like stepping back in time, Orkney is, or at least it was whilst we were there, or the parts of it that we saw.  Saw a BBC News clip the other day on a survey by the Government on "happiness ratings" - and the far north of Scotland (Orkney, Shetlands etc.) rated as the happiest places in the whole of the UK (83% of people there are "happy" I think it said).
I've never encountered hospitality like we did, there.  We'd missed our flight from Heathrow (long story) and all our connecting flights, so we ended up in Kirkwall (me, two very small boys, a pushchair, two suitcases, four huge boxes of paperwork and four rolled-up sleeping bags) at just after 5pm on a dark January evening in 1988 with the snow just starting to fall.  Didn't know a soul and didn't have the money for a hotel, either.
A passing taxi-driver rescued us and whisked us off to a local house (minimal bed-and-breakfast rates) where by 6pm we were eating supper in front of a roaring log fire.  We slept soon after (*very* long day of travelling), hot-water-bottles provided by the kindly lady whose house it was, and the next morning we were up before 6am for a swift breakfast before the boat at 6.30am.  The lady (still in her dressing gown) carried all our belongings out through the snow to the car - driven by the same taxi-driver we'd met the night before, who had stayed up all night so he could get us to the boat the next morning.
Where else would you meet people like that?  being in Orkney was like "being home", somehow.  Don't know if I'll ever get back there (unless there's time one day for the long-delayed screenwriting and the finances improve as a result) but I'd like to.  A very special place, you live in Smiley
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.