cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet-Take the money and run

Chris09

Plusnet-Take the money and run

Hi-I have just registered a .com domain name ythrough Plusnet (4 days ago) at a cost of £93.00 approx.  When I queried this high cost (hosting includes) they gave me the name of another business that provides the same service for a 10th of that cost.  Yet when I asked fro a refund, Plusnet offered no money back-cooling off period.  Is this big business being the bully again?  Shoddy practice more likely.  Chris
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Plusnet-Take the money and run

I'm afraid you only have your self to blame as PN do publish their domain registration costs linky. They are an ISP and thus do not have the economies of scale that a registration company has. PNs high costs have also been well publicised on the forums.
There are many many many other registration companies around which charge a fraction of what PN do and it really is not difficult to find them.
There is no 'cooling off' period with domain registrations. Once it is registered, that is it, it cannot be unregistered.
The next thing you need to do is move the domain away from PN so they don't charge your £93 next year. You then just arrange to host the domain on your account for free
I use 1and1.co.uk for all my domain registrations and a .com costs £8.89/year.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've replied to your ticket.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I believe that there is also a get out under the DSR if the goods are bespoke/not resaleable
Also they do not apply if the OP is a business.
sadly it is a buyer beware.
Chilly
LiamM
Grafter

There is a difference between a product and a service.  Domains are treated as Services and as such, different restrictions apply.
hulls
Grafter

I'm afraid that both Chilly and James are right.  Under DSR the cooling off period finishes, when the service activates.  And anyway they are the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations, where a consumer is defined:
“consumer" means any natural person who, in contracts to which these Regulations apply, is acting for purposes which are outside his business;
There is also an exemption for goods that are personalised, so in any case, they don't apply.
Sorry Sad
John