Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect remove inactive licenses

FIXED
DaiABolical2
Hooked

Plusnet Protect remove inactive licenses

Hi, I have 4 PCs on my home network (All WIN 10 64bit), three of which are secured with Plusnet Protect. Having recently upgraded I now also have 4 inactive PCs against the account and need to remove them, as I appear to be unable to install Plusnet Protect on the 4th Active PC. I have tried to reinstall from one of the inactive links, but the install always fails with one of two messages.

"Sorry, your McAfee software couldn't be installed. The following components failed to install: SecurityCenter"

or 

"Sorry, your McAfee software couldn't be installed. The following components failed to install: McAfee Analytics SDK"

I have tried all the solutions on the "How to fix this" link given with the error message but to no avail:

I have been getting a message periodically regarding expiry of my subscription, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the program a couple of times to fix it. Having read the forums, I am now aware that this is not required as the subscription auto renews.

Any advice?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

22 REPLIES 22
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Plusnet Protect remove inactive licenses

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Just to confirm have you tried using the McAfee removal tool here?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DaiABolical2
Hooked

Yes. Just tried again to make sure. It ran all the way through to "Removal Successful". I restarted and reinstalled Plusnet Protect and got the message:

"Sorry, your McAfee software couldn't be installed. The following components failed to install: SecurityCenter"

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @DaiABolical2, thanks for that update.

Are you getting the same error message when trying the manual uninstall detailed on the same page my colleague @MatthewWheeler sent through to you?

DaiABolical2
Hooked

hI 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've raised a ticket internally about this as there's nothing else we could advise you to try so we need to look at that as a potential issue with licensing. Here's a direct link to the ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185701729 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DaiABolical2
Hooked

Thank you Adam, much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've been looking into this with one of my colleagues.

As the problem appears to be with the licences as opposed to the subscription itself, we'd like to raise this issue with McAfee.

This means we'll need to e-mail McAfee with your account details and a contact number. 

If you're happy to go ahead, please could you let us know by replying to this ticket: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185701729 then drop us a reply over here and we'll pick it up and get it progressed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaiABolical2
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Thank you. Yes, I am happy for you to pass my details to McAfee, and I have updated the internal ticket accordingly.

Cheers.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Fix

Hi @DaiABolical2

Thanks for responding here and via the ticket - I've passed this across to McAfee for you as discussed and they'll be in touch with you directly to get this resolved.

Best wishes

Dave

DaiABolical2
Hooked

Thank you all, McAfee have resolved this issue for me now.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Pleased to hear that this is sorted, @DiaABolical2

If there's anything else you need, just drop us a line.

Best wishes

Dave

philw111
Hooked

This thread refers to the same problem that I am having but I am being told by the support team that they can not help (ticket no 186074489). Can someone please carry out the same procedures with Mcafee that was done here in order that I can remove the inactive licences and get on with my life

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@philw111,

In the member centre under the Protect service there should be a link to take you to McAfee to enable you to remove devices. A direct link on how to remove individual devices can be found here. The username/email is the email address on the account with us (that the original McAfee welcome email was sent to) and the password is the account password. From here you can remove the individual devices. 

The removal steps are different for different types of devices. To learn how to remove a device from My Account, expand the relevant section below:

How to remove a PC or MacFollow these steps to remove a PC or Mac from your account:

NOTE: Only a McAfee Technical Support agent can remove a PC or Mac from your account. You cannot remove a PC or Mac yourself through home.mcafee.com.

1. Contact Technical Support.
  2. Tell the agent that you want to remove a PC or Mac from your account.
  3. Provide the agent with:

• The email address for your McAfee account
    • The name of the PC or Mac that you want to remove
    • Any other information that they request

4. Wait for the PC or Mac to be removed from your account.
    NOTE: This removal could take up to 90 days.

philw111
Hooked

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have is that I can not get into my Mcafee account - I have tried the e-mail address with Plusnet password but that doesn't work. I may have changed the Plusnet password since joining so presumably Mcafee will have the old one (no idea what that was). I tried the "forgot password" link but it would appear that their systems do not have me listed under my current e-mail address - at least, the relevant link was not received (and yes, I did check the spam folder)

What other options do I have? Can the Mcafee account be removed and a new one set up for me? I tried removing the add-on and then reinstalling it but the details remained the same.