Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect Requesting Virus Check

JamesDL
Dabbler

Plusnet Protect Requesting Virus Check

Windows 10.

(Almost) every time I open a MS Word or Excel document I get "Requesting virus scan" and have to wait for it to complete. I believe this is instigated by Plusnet Protect. This could be helpful if it weren't for the fact that it doest it every time I open the files even though they haven't changed since the last Virus scan. It's just getting on my nerves. Anyone know how to turn it off?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Plusnet Protect Requesting Virus Check

@JamesDL I don't use Plusnet Protect, or W10, but why do you think it is PP instigating this?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You really don't need protect, the built in windows security software is good enough.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JamesDL
Dabbler

John

Scoured internet forums and the concensus is that it's security software - in this cas PP. Excel and Word don't have the facility (at least my antiquated versions don't). Checked Windows Security (prev Defender) and Virus Scan controlled by McAfee.

jab1
Legend

OK - I'll take your word for it as I've never used PP, but my AV (Avast) doesn't do that, and never has.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is a standard normal function of McAfee doing its job of making sure a file you open does not have a virus or other malware.

Plusnet Protect is facilitated by McAfee security products.

There are other security products available - there is no obligation to use PP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that information, @Townman . I've not used McAfee for about 20 years, but my AV doesn't do what the OP describes, or if it does, it is very much quicker, and only 'advertises' itself if it finds anything.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is something comparatively recent. I suspect that it is an overt reminder that one is being proactively protected.

Yesterday I was looking at a friends’s machine which uses Kaspersky which very annoyingly reminded me it was active on every page refresh of this space.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.