cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pop Up Survey !?!

JasonMassey
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Pop Up Survey !?!

Mars2050, this is exactly the same pop-up i'm having.   It's been happening on my two computers and a laptop, checked these computers and don't see any virus or malware on them.

Any ideas how these pop-ups are appearing on our computers?

Mars2050
Rising Star

Reason most likely to do with what I said in my post above.  You could try a popup blocker but some things like this work around pop up blockers.

My advise is, never click on anything like that or do any surveys. They are data mining and get stored on a wide range of databases. You could even get a virus by clicking surveys, pop ups like that. If pop up persists, then close your browser and do a cookies and browser, history, cache clean.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had a number of pop ups appearing on my pc a couple of months back. For some reason the pop ups mainly appeared when I was on ebay. Eventually tracked it down to some rootkit / virus can't remember the name.

Couldn't be bothered to follow the instructions to remove it as it's always far quicker just to load an older disk image.

No more pop ups since the reload.

Most virus checkers don't spot rootkits.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Definitely not legit. @Mars2050, it's no easier now for folk to present these pop-ups than it was prior to the network changes. For anyone seeing these frequently, I'd suggest a full virus/malware scan. Malwarebytes Free Anti-Malware is a good option.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sulkycat17

Hi,

same thing here, again when using eBay.

If it is of any help, the url is:

http://wayretail.com/?e13f012aa9bcc1016280b77a4f3b8cd2

@bobpullen thank you, will try the full Malware scan.

salmo
Rising Star

As mentioned earlier I had a similar problem with pop up survey. I ran Norton and Free Malwarebytes and nothing was found. They started immediately after a reconnection and stopped when I obtained a different IP address by doing a disconnection via the router. Not had any since.

JasonMassey
Grafter

Just an update on this.

I installed Malwarebytes and it found nothing, still had pop-ups afterwards.

Mgnl1983
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello Jason,  I had another pop-up appear on Monday.  I tried pressing ALT+PrtScrn to get a screen capture but it didn`t work.   I contacted Norton and asked them to do a full scan and malware scan, and it came back with nothing.

The pop-ups have happened Three times in approx. One Month,  I just wish I could get a capture of it !

Glad to hear your computer is un-affected, and thanks for your update.

serendipitysam

Hi, these browser hijacks/redirects for the fake survey scam are caused by malicious ads and will not be blocked by anti virus software etc. You need to install a reputable adblocker like ghostery or adblock plus to stop them.  The site hosting the ads also needs to block the ads as does the ad network provider (the malicious ads which appeared on ebay were from Google Adwords ad network).  

More information here on how this survey scam works: http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/ebay-redirect-to-survey-site/td-p/5244072  

serendipitysam

See news article below: This looks like the most likely way that these redirect/ browser hijacks are being done via ads - except instead of being used for a fake tech support scam, they are being used for a fake survey scam (aimed at getting your credit card details for postage of your "free gift" and then draining your bank account/credit card once they have your card details. 

How do scammers know your ISP?

In the case of cold calls it may just be a lucky case of guessing a common ISP but in the case of pop-ups, there is an altogether cleverer way for fraudsters to glean information that can help them.

How it works

• Big ad networks allow users to win ad space on websites by bidding at a particular price
  • Criminals are taking advantage of this to place adverts which are infected with a single "bad" pixel
  • This pixel can redirect users and infect them in the background when they are browsing on a perfectly legitimate site - they do not even need to click on the ad
  • The malware in the ad redirects users to a website in the background - invisible to the user - which checks their computer and discovers their IP address
  • From the IP address it is easy to find out which ISP owns which IP address
Tags (1)