Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pop Up Survey !?!

Mgnl1983
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Pop Up Survey !?!

Just wanting to alert others.  I`ve just been browsing ebay, and Three times I have had a pop-up survey appear on my screen, allegedly from PlusNet (I`m 99.99 percent certain that it isn`t legit).  It is offering incentives for filling out a survey, but there in no decline button, only an accept button ! 

I haven`t filled anything in, I just closed the page down each time.   I`ve looked through other topics and seen that this appears to been a problem in the past, and it looks as though it may be starting again. 

My anti-virus software hasn`t reported anything suspicious though...

24 REPLIES 24
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet Pop Up Survey !?!

Can you get a screenshot of it, and see what the URL of the popup is?

salmo
Rising Star

I've just had the same pop up survey re Plusnet whilst on ebay. Like Mgnl1983 I closed the page down and did an antivirus scan which showed nothing.

If I remember this kind of thing has happened in the past  although not sure if on ebay site.

Mgnl1983
Rising Star

I haven`t had the pop up appear again as yet, but as soon as it does, I will take a screen capture of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mgnl1983 - I've just filed a fault with Plusnet and while on the site I was offered to complete a survey (which I did) but there was no mention of any incentives to actually complete it. But maybe these are only offered via external resources.

When this popup appeared were you looking at a generic eBay page or a vendor specific page?

If it were on a vendors page then I'd raise an eyebrow as regards the legitimacy of it but if it was a dedicated eBay page like the index page then I'd be inclined to give it a bit more credibility, but I still wouldn't complete it until its authenticity is confirmed here.

Mgnl1983
Rising Star

I had typed in a search on vehicles on ebay, and I hadn`t actually clicked on any specific vehicle.  I think I had just gone to click the box for completed listings, but before I managed to click it, suddenly the plusnet survey page appeared.  The survey page was definitely trying to entice people to click the accept button, as there was all sorts of incentives promised. The thing that made me close the page, was that there was no decline button for the survey, so I forced it to shutdown.  I`ve tried re-creating the same thing to see if it will happen again, but it hasn`t as yet.  If it does, I have promised I will post a screen capture.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mgnl1983, from what you have just said this does not sound like Plusnet at all, as I am sure they would give you the opportunity to decline, just like I got this morning. If you want to try to re-create it, you may want to consider removing your eBay cookies from your browser, as one may have been set so you don't see the popup again.

Also, it wouldn't do any harm to do a full scan your PC using your AV software; just in case.

salmo
Rising Star

The pop up I had was similar to the one illustrated by MattyC in this earlier thread from 2015.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Announcements/Pop-up-and-surveys/td-p/1200560

It wasn't the standard one which comes up sometimes on the Plusnet site.

salmo
Rising Star

The pop up has appeared again  on a different site. The url of pop up was .http://    followed by retailboy.com/?f6c8cb414123cf79c0d7d5e9abdd7b4d without the gap. It was addressed to Dear Plusnet customer.

The first time it appeared was immediately after a re connection following a drop in PPPoA. Very limited technical knowledge so no idea if there could be a link.

MrSilver
Pro

The plusnet customer but could be someone looking at owner of ip.

Did you get a screenshot at all?

The URL does look suspect as retailboy.com doesn't got to a marketing agency type
Site it just errors.

Said site may track ip's it's popped up on to limit how Dodgy it looks and your reconnection gave a new ip potentially.

Would suggest steer well clear and maybe the plusnet security team can look at as may be a scam trying to get details for logins etc.
salmo
Rising Star

Thanks MrSilver. Sorry but not sure how to take a screen shot. I will look it up now in case it happens again. I ran full Norton scan and even Norton power eraser but nothing found. I've disconnected and reconnected to get a different IP address just in case.

I've no intention of opening the survey despite the exclusive reward offers which show glowing testimonials in the faint background. I guess they are after some confidential information such as log in or credit card  details.as you said.

MrSilver
Pro

If using windows press alt-print and it should screenshot the active window. Load up paint and then should be able to paste from the clipboard.
JasonMassey
Grafter

I've been having these also, it has been happening on two computers and a laptop.

When it next happens I will get a screen shot,  it it turns out it's on purpose from Plusnet i'm going to be really fed up and consider moving.

grovep
Dabbler

I have had problems on ebay too.  Will try and get a screen shot

Mars2050
Rising Star

Yes I have had similar or the same, on some websites see my screen shot.

I do believe I know why and that is because your location is now even easier to be found due to the new changes and it don't take much, to look up the ISP connected to it. Sad