cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Firewall problem....

iandw

Plusnet Firewall problem....

Has anyone had problems with Plus Nets firewall??. I have the situation where if I turn the Firewall OFF, all my ports are setup as being closed (I use dyndns to check if ports are open/closed from internet/remotely). If I change the firewall via the advanced tab to use HTTP, HTTPS and SMTP, the ports 80,443 and 25 are magically working!!. (In both cases I drop & restart the connection). I know it is something to do with plus net, as I have connected a non firewalled laptop via a direct cable, to a straight ADSL Modem which hasn't an inbuilt firewall to muck things up. Has anyone else got/had this problem or know of a workaround to open up more ports???
Thanks Ian..
N.B. I am on a static IP, which I want to use for web/email server testing hence the port requirements... Huh
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet Firewall problem....

After changing the firewall settings did you do a disconnect/reconnect (or router reboot)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Very strange, can you try turning the firewall off again, then rebooting your modem/router (I see you did this last time anyway) and seeing if the ports are showing as open/closed then?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
iandw

Hi, I've physically disconected the line to the wall, turned on/off the modem plus done the internal software reboots and line connects
/disconnects/refreshes etc.. via the software interface, when the firewall is turned OFF and still no luck.
When I use the advanced option & go back to HTTP etc.. do the above, I get the ports open. I can't explain it as the only difference is choosing a different option from the Plus net management screen. I guess I have to wait and see what the technical guys say at Plus net???
FYI. Dyndns simply times out and says the ISP/Firewall is preventing forwarding, Whereas another (can't remember which) says the ports are in stealth mode, whatever that is, I know I can't change it?Huh
iandw

I sorted the problem, by disconnecting ADSL from socket and leaving router/modem off (overnight). I have now reconnected and it appears to be working as I expected. Maybe the line wasn't getting dropped or something?Huh