cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Chat Said I would Get Contacted By The Network Administration Department about Safeguard

tcj1971
Rising Star

Plusnet Chat Said I would Get Contacted By The Network Administration Department about Safeguard

I contacted Plusnet Chat on the 29th October as I am now getting a bit peeved off about the Safeguard not working. The guy on chat said that I would be contacted within 48 hours but I have not heard a thing....as expected.

Can anyone sort this please? The transcript is below.

Info at 20:12, Oct 29:
You are now chatting with [CSA Removed].
[CSA Removed] at 20:13, Oct 29:
ME at 20:16, Oct 29:
I have been with Plusnet for around 20 months now and always had trouble with getting Safeguard to work. It now seems the Router that I was first supplied with upon joining does not allow Safeguard to work. Can you help with this please as I have tried everything
[CSA Removed] at 20:17, Oct 29:
How are you?
ME at 20:20, Oct 29:
Fine thanks [CSA Removed]
[CSA Removed] at 20:21, Oct 29:
Im just looking into your query.
[CSA Removed] at 20:25, Oct 29:
Plusnet Safeguard is a free parental controls service that is available to all Plusnet customers and can be used to restrict adult content. If you would like to activate Plusnet Safeguard, you can do so by logging into the Member Centre on our website (www.plus.net), where you can choose to turn it off, or change your settings at any time by logging into Member Centre on our website.
ME at 20:27, Oct 29:
Yes tried many a time but does not work. Looking at the Plusnet Community Forums there are others with the same problem of which seems to be the Hub One Router not working with Safeguard
ME at 20:28, Oct 29:
You cannot change the DNS settings as shown here on the Hub One Router for Safeguard to work https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/
ME at 20:31, Oct 29:
Our Hub One shows Primary DNS: 213.120.234.42 and Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.38 and they need to be Primary 212.159.13.49 and Secondary 212.159.13.50 for Safeguard to work. You cannot change the on the Hub One. Do Plusnet have a better router that allows to change the DNS settings
[CSA Removed] at 20:33, Oct 29:
I will send a message to the network administration department. They'll provide you with a response within the next 48hrs.
ME at 20:33, Oct 29:
What type of message [CSA Removed]?
[CSA Removed] at 20:34, Oct 29:
Sorry i meant an email describing your query.
ME at 20:36, Oct 29:
What answer can I expect off them? Just that I am not getting a service that is being advertised/included in my Broadband package (Plusnet Safeguard)
[CSA Removed] at 20:38, Oct 29:
They will investigate and establish what the issue is.
ME at 20:39, Oct 29:
Thanks. How will they contact me
[CSA Removed] at 20:39, Oct 29:
Via email.
ME at 20:40, Oct 29:
Okay I hope something gets sorted
[CSA Removed] at 20:41, Oct 29:
I believe it will.
[CSA Removed] at 20:41, Oct 29:
Thank you for your communication.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

25 REPLIES 25
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Plusnet Chat Said I would Get Contacted By The Network Administration Department about Safeguard

You cannot change the DNS settings as shown here on the Hub One Router for Safeguard to work https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/

@tcj1971 you do not need to be able to manually change the DNS settings on a router for Safeguard to work. Safeguard works by changing the DNS servers that PlusNet allocate to your account. As long as the router uses the DNS servers that are automatically allocated (and the Hub One does just that) then Safeguard should work. If it's not working for you then it sounds like an account problem. Hopefully 'networks' will identitify the problem...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tcj1971
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet Chat Said I would Get Contacted By The Network Administration Department about Safeguard

That is what I am hoping The Network Administration Department will sort MisterW

Beyond 48 hours now though

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @tcj1971,

There is a ticket with Networks but I'm not sure they'll be able to assist as it was sent based on the conversation you had with the chat agent. As @MisterW has advised as long as the DNS settings are our DNS then Safeguard will work.

So we can try and assist, or at least give the Networks department a little more insight can you explain what part of Safeguard isn't working for you, providing as many specifics as possible. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just one thing to clarify here:

ME at 20:31, Oct 29:
Our Hub One shows Primary DNS: 213.120.234.42 and Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.38 and they need to be Primary 212.159.13.49 and Secondary 212.159.13.50 for Safeguard to work. You cannot change the on the Hub One. Do Plusnet have a better router that allows to change the DNS settings

From that snippet, you've advised that your DNS settings are already set to 213.120.234.42 and .48, this is correct for Safeguard so you do not need to change these settings for Safeguard to work, in fact trying to change them will result in Safeguard not working.

From the link you provided just about that snippet:

To set Plusnet Safeguard DNS server addresses
Primary 213.120.234.42
Secondary 213.120.234.42

So the setting you've advised that your router currenty has are the correct settings for Safeguard to work.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tcj1971
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies and I may have added some wrong information. Anyway, I have just updated the ticket with this

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The settings in my Plusnet Hub Manager show

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address: 91.125.11.90  
Default gateway: 172.16.17.162  
Primary DNS: 213.120.234.42  
Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.38

So according to your reply Safeguard should work but it does not. However, on this page

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-dns-server-and-website-settings/

It shows different settings and of course with the Hub One you cannot change any DNS settings

Whichever website I try to block, it does not work eg. instagram.com . I go through all the correct procedure to use Safeguard at https://www.plus.net/my-account/safeguard/ but it does not work

Hope that clears up my issues with Safeguard

-------------------------------------------------

Should Safeguard be working with those settings? Should they both end in 42? My secondary DNS is 38 as you can see

Thanks

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @tcj1971,

Thank you for providing your DNS settings.

The primary one should end 42 and the secondary 38 like it is displayed. As the settings are correct, I have now added your account to an open incident relating to SafeGuard not blocking sites.

I have also updated the ticket on your account for monitoring purposes which you can access here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tcj1971
Rising Star

Thanks for that

So will I get a ticket update with some further information?

Thanks again

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @tcj1971,

The issue is currently being investigated and once we have a further update we'll get back in touch, however at this stage there is no estimated time frame for this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
tcj1971
Rising Star

Any updates on this?

Updated my Ticket/Open Questions on Monday 12th November for any further updates but not heard a thing

Thanks for any more info on getting Safeguard working in our house

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm sorry that Safeguard still doesn't work for you, and you've not had an update yet.

I've checked the open problem with our incident management team and I can confirm the issue is on-going unfortunately. I've asked for an update and I'll post back when I know more.

Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tcj1971
Rising Star

Thanks for the update

It does seem to be dragging on now though

tcj1971
Rising Star

I received this last week about my Question about Safeguard not working
---------------------------------------------------
CSC Analyst
12:55pm, Tuesday 20 Nov 2018
Dear Mr ,

This Question is now on hold until Tuesday 27th November at 7:00am.

Kind regards,
CSC Analyst
---------------------------------------------------

Still not heard a thing, and it is now getting ridiculous. I opened this Ticket on 29th October

Anyone help please, because if I cannot use Safeguard then Plusnet is no good to me with having kids in the house. Website categories and individual websites need blocking but we cannot do that as Safeguard does not work

I will seriously consider moving elsewhere if there is no solution to this
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @tcj1971, thanks for your post.

You appear to have only seen the second half of the update. I'm guessing that you've not received or seen the first half of my colleagues message.

For your convenience, the ticket can be accessed here in its entirety.

Please let us know if you're still unable to access the update via the link.

tcj1971
Rising Star

@OskarPapa

The only bit I can see from the 20th November apart from the 'On Hold' reply is about the issue is ongoing