cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Cache

wikimicky

Plusnet Cache

Can anyone tell me how often PlusNet clear their caches?
I have moved a website to a new server and new IP and yet I'm still seeing the old website.

As I work from home using PlusNet, I cannot see my changes.

The new IP has propagated and my colleagues can all see the new website location and my changes.

I use the new IP to ftp updated files successfully.
It is not my browser I have tried on 4 different ones.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnet Cache

But have you tried flushing your DNS or setting your computers DNS servers to be non PN ones?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wikimicky

I have added the new site and IP to my hosts file so that I can see changes I make.
I guess any of my target audience using PlusNet will have to wait .....

and as I write PN have cleared their cache 

approx 24 hours - Guess I can't complain cos they do say wait up to 48 hours for worldwide propagation but other ISP only take a few minutes. Life is good....

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

DNS caching is a well documented and defined thing.

Typically, many DNS entries have a "TTL" (time to live) of 24 hours, and unless you go and change that, then that is how long any DNS changes CAN take to propagate.

The issue is simple: if User's X's DNS servers have not looked up your DNS entry in the last 24 hours, then they will do a fresh DNS lookup, and get the updated IP address. If user Y's DNS server *have* looked up your DNS entry in the last 24 hours (and sod's law say that happened 5 mins before you updated it!) then there will be a 24 hour wait for the DNS cache to time out, at which point the server will refresh the DNS (and get the new IP address).

Tech people who run their own DNS will get around this delay by adjusting the TTL down to maybe 5 minutes, a day or two before the change is due. Then on the day itself, drop it down to say 30 seconds. That way, when the DNS change is made, there's only a brief delay for the change to propagate worldwide. (and then you would reset the TTL back to 24 hours).

There is however another issue: some DNS systems are not correctly setup: they will ignore the TTL set up by the DNS entry, and just cache it for, say, 24 hours.

Life can be challenging at times, especially when you're not in full control!