cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet abuse team - what's going on??

kcooper

PlusNet abuse team - what's going on??

I have a small website, domain name registered with and hosted by PlusNet. Twice in the last week I have had emails from the ominously titled "Abuse Team" stating my website is over its 100mb allowance. Strangely, according to "my webspace" I am 15mb over - only in the last week or so. The 1st "abuse team" email stated I was 1852kb over my allowance. I find this strange, as I hadn't updated the site for at least a month.
Anyway, i thought I'd best slim it down a bit, so as not to annoy the "abuse team".
So, I removed 4 - about half - of the pages on the site. Photos that were embedded were removed with a link to Flickr.
Suddenly, according to the "abuse team", I am 2211kb over my allowance - but no action will be taken. Well thanks a lot. Very reassuring.
"My Webspace" still states I am 15mb over my allowance.
How can this be?Huh
I am very unhappy, that as a loyal PlusNet customer of several years, that I am receiving threats to remove my family site for dubious reasons, with supposed abuse figures that don't add up. I have no means apart from the "my webspace" figure - however inaccurate -, of knowing how much space my site is taking up.
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: PlusNet abuse team - what's going on??

It's likely not the space that it is taking that is the issue - it is possible that the number of visits to your site is the issue.
Raise a ticket and ask Plusnet to clarify
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it is the space used two things:
I believe the space used is calculated once a day, overnight so you won't see an instant change.
Have you got a duplicate (backup) copy of your site from when homepages died a few weeks back? It will be called something like "htdocs.20080119010320". There seems to be confusion about whether these will be automatically removed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kcooper

Thanks for your replies, however, my site doesn't get many hits, as it's really just family that visit. I knew a while back that my 100mb allowance was used, but I hadn't gone over. suddenly, without changing anything, I am 15mb over according to "my webspace", but under 2mb over according to the "abuse team". The figure has changed on the emails over the last few days, but not on "my webspace"
If I have removed pages, and uploaded the reduced content, how can my allowance "abuse" have got worse.
I only have the site for fun, and for family use and am annoyed by this. According to Netobjects Fusion 7, which I used to create the site, all the files total 36mb. i'm sure that this isn't the final figure once uploaded, but.........
Prod_Man
Grafter

As users have stated, it could be a number of things.
(not sure if you have done any of this already, my appolgise if you have already)
First, check your Webstats through the PlusNet Member Centre.
Check that with the figures for your Account Types' Maximum 24h Webtranfer. ( I would say it's probably 250MB )
I forget the page which tells you exactly the figures as I had to look it up myself when I had a simlar issue.
Check that the figures recording daily don't exceed the xxxMB limit for your Account Type.
I and some other Members, recieved a similar EMail.
It turned out to be due to a miss-calculation,
because one of the scripts were incorrect.
wait patiently for a Staff repsonse or raise a ticket.
Jim,