Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please vote for Ruby on Rails

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Please vote for Ruby on Rails

"Ruby on Rails is a breakthrough in lowering the barriers of entry to programming. Powerful web applications that formerly might have taken weeks or months to develop can be produced in a matter of days.”

-Tim O'Reilly, Founder of O'Reilly Media 

I think Ruby on Rails is great and I'd like to be able to use it with my PlusNet CGI space. If anyone else has played with this, or is interested, then please vote on the PUGIT item 105 so we can get this gem installed  Grin
http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=105
15 REPLIES 15
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Please vote for Ruby on Rails

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of RoR; It has its problems. Scalability of web apps written using RoR is the main one. I messed about with it when I was doing some work on the Metasploit web console, but it hasn't been a language that I was eager to learn.
It is quite a clear language to read once you understand it, but it's not the choice for me I'm afraid.
starfry
Rising Star

Mods could this please be stickied for a while so it can be seen?
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note
Unfortunately we do not normally sticky feature requests, as we would end up with the first page of the forum full of them.
How about adding a poll, to gauge demand, as well as the PUGit entry.
I know that if you can get 100 users to sign the PUGit then PlusNet will take it much more seriously.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
starfry
Rising Star

There is already a PugIT number 105, I think. I could not see an option on here to add a poll (but I do remember seeing it on the old community forum?).
It looks to me like PN won't get around to doing this without the magic 100 people and I don't know how else to publicise the request more so I think I'll have to look for hosting elsewhere...
Ianwild
Grafter

I think it's a fair cause - If we can prove demand we can look at this certainly.
Off to vote for this one myself - It's just the sort of thing we should be offering to the hobbyist.
Ian
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note
Poll added
Jonathan
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
Moderators Note
Unfortunately we do not normally sticky feature requests, as we would end up with the first page of the forum full of them.
How about adding a poll, to gauge demand, as well as the PUGit entry.
I know that if you can get 100 users to sign the PUGit then PlusNet will take it much more seriously.
Jonathan
aka Chilly

This is getting lost in the Community Support forum, so I am moving it to Webspace Help, as it is a webspace issue.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm still working on it guys... 🙂
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I have added the original comment in this topic to the PUGIT 105 item (here) and included it in the associated Comment topic (here).
The PUGIT currently has 15 supporting votes - increasing that number would not go amiss.
David
jah
Grafter

Ruby is still quite new, but the amount of applications built upon it is growing.  Let's just get it installed and worry about demand later!
chillypenguin
Grafter

That's not how it works in a corporate setting.
First you have to have a proven demand, then a return on investment.
Chilly
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Then check it does not compromise security on the server, then find if its actually available for the platform, then test it (if you actually know how) before it even gets on the test ccgi server. The get QA test/sign-off then find a suitable time to take each of the 5 ccgi servers off-line to be installed / rebuilt.
That's a lot of valuable time and effort so there has to be a high demand for it (which there is not at the moment).
tex
Grafter

I personally dislike Ruby but there are some applications such as redmine which I'd like to be able to use in future, so I voted yes. I believe it's more popular than ColdFusion and Miva which are supported by the new servers.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Ruby on Rails is installed on PAYH, although please note we dont have shell access.