cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please keep it simple!

Brugmansia
Dabbler

Please keep it simple!

Though I think I am fairly computer literate I remain more interested in getting content into my website than in the process to achieve this.
My existing site is based upon a free template which is very restrictive as every page seems to have to follow this same format and that doesn't work.
My searches suggest "Wordpress" is easy but, whilst there is a very helpful guide to setting up Wordpress on the PlusNet site there appears to be contention over PlusNet's ability to cope with some of the features. (Forum comments and fixes relating to Wordpress).
Similarly I have CuteFTP but the forums appear to recommend Komposer, (which I also downloaded and looked at), for both design and FTP activity, and so the arguments and discussions continue - which, I do understand as these are very subjective topics. HOWEVER:
Here's a simple proposition; can anyone recommend a simple solution?

• I have my own domain already hosted
    I want to get away from a fixed format template for my web pages
    I want to use a content focused rather than process focused web design and management software package,.
    I would like to attach a members only blog to my website
    I want to feel confident that all is as secure as it reasonably can be
    I want to spend as little as possible!

and I simply want to enjoy providing information via my site than worrying about what I'm doing to achive that aim.
Am I seeking the impossible or just the Holy Grail?
  Crazy
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Please keep it simple!

Quote from: Brugmansia
My existing site is based upon a free template which is very restrictive as every page seems to have to follow this same format and that doesn't work.

What do you mean by "every page seems to have to follow this same format"? The layout (theme) of forums like this one (which is SMF powered) and blogs like this site's home page or the Community Support Library (which are WordPress powered) are fixed format. The content of the pages automatically changes when new posts/articles are created but that could be done manually by slotting the new information into a template such as yours, and removing older information.
Both SMF and WordPress provide index/summary pages and board content/article pages, just a different template in the manual equivalent.
If it just easier updating/content management you are seeking or completely different layout on each page?
David
Brugmansia
Dabbler

Thanks for seeking clarification  Embarrassed
My present layout uses up a lot of web page with the head picture and the column of links to other pages. subsequent pages therefore also have a very restricted area for content. The home page is satisfactory and I chose the template because of the quality and relevance of the picture but I would like to carry through the theme via a reduced image or somehow that works.
The site is predominantly a personal one but there are many and varied lifetime "projects" that I know to be of interest, if not inspiration, to others. This is why I would like to get the site really up and running but in a CMS and visitor friendly way.
The page size also seems to be fixed as I can't add content once I reach the bottom of the template page, but this might be due to lack of knowledge on my part.
So, to answer your final question, I seek the ability to carry my home page theme & navigation functionality into subsequent pages but have the ability to add pictures adjacent to text so I can better describe projects. For example, it could be the ability to describe how to manually develop roll film using pictures and narrative.
Finally, I currently advise on several projects and would like to add a blog facility but this must restrict access to those engaged rather than to anyone browsing the web. 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the best way forward with this might be to get stuck in, have a go and experiment. If need be you could save articles and start again for the final site if desired.
I assume your template-based website is on the Homepages server (did you FTP content to /htdocs?). For a CMS you would need PHP and MySQL which means using the ccgi server. Have you activated ccgi and MySQL on your account?
Once activated you could initially use ccgi.username.plus.com for web access to your site (note, the URL differs for other vISPs), no need then to make any changes to your personal domain at this time. For a CMS you could look at WordPress and Joomla.
The PHP and MySQL versions on ccgi meet the requirements of WordPress 3.1.4 (obtainable from their release archive) and Joomla 1.5.26 (from their Joomla Download page). From personal experience both of these install without problems on ccgi provided correct file and directory permissions are set. (Take no notice of permissions specified on the WordPress and Joomla websites.)
Releases of WordPress and Joomla later than those require MySQL 5. When Plusnet might update MySQL from 4.1.11 to that version is anyone's guess. For example see topic still only MySQL v4?.
David
David