Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing contact form on web page

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Placing contact form on web page

Seems fair enough to me. If they try the HomeSurf never had CGI argument it's not your fault that Plusnet have never provided the service in accordance with the AUP!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think when the CSC say Plusnet do not support PHP they probably mean in terms of answering questions on the technical aspects of using it. PHP is "supported" in the sense of being provided (on a separate cgi server) for account types where such a service is included but this forum is the only source of usage-support beyond what is on Help and Support pages.
David
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

cjh, one thing you may want to try is PMing Bob Pullen withe your ticket number.
and a link to this thread
[Edit] Spelling
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This thread is likened to discussing your battle plans in the middle of your opponents war room Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cjh,
I've replied to your ticket, the component's added but please allow 4 hours or so for it to activate and configure.
@strat evidently the 'opponent' (is that really how you see us? should I be worried? ;)) is listening in to the conference and attempting to resolve the issue peaceably before it comes to a conflict Cheesy
cjh
Dabbler

Thanks to all - forum folk for their advice, and Plusnet for sorting out the addition of the cgi (and thus php) component.
Just to wind this up from the person who started this, as my own summary, Plusnet's done right in the end, though I did have to run in a few circles. Partly, that was from me not knowing the right terminology or questions to ask - I was trying to do something that felt like it should be simple (and in fact it was) but failing for lack of knowledge about what was required at the server end and what I should have expected.
But, I'd have possibly given up and had to move to another provider if it hadn't been for the help and advice here, because from what I understood from the initial feedback what I wanted to do (run an extension from Dreamweaver that created php dependent forms) wasn't ever going to work. Now I have hope :-). When I fail to understand the next bit, I'll no doubt be back with a new thread and query - thanks for the help.
Matt - thanks for your input. I had hoped for this outcome, which is why I hadn't been chasing harder direct to Plusnet until the team had had a chance to do something to solve the difficulties.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

CHJ
This all seems like a rather hard route to fixing a simple problem... one made somewhat more difficult by the use of tools such as Dreamweaver which place a barrier between the website developer and HTML so much so that the developer has no clue as to what's happening under the covers.
A simple block of HTML as follows inserted into your web page will place a feedback form on your web page...
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://homepages.plus.net/cgi-bin/form">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="recipient" VALUE="you@youraccount.plus.com" />
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="subject" VALUE="Feedback from my web page" />
Name:  <INPUT TYPE="Text" SIZE="30" MAXLENGTH="30" NAME="realname" /><P>
Email:  <INPUT TYPE="Text" SIZE="30" MAXLENGTH="30" NAME="email" /><P>
Comments:
<P>
  <TEXTAREA ROWS="12" COLS="25" NAME="text area">
</TEXTAREA>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit form">
<INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear form"><P>
</form>

Insert your email address into the RECIPIENT field.
Dreamweaver should have some facility for inserting raw HTML.

NB: I've just spotted some errors on the PN page describing this form - I'll raise a new topic to deal with this problem.
Good luck,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Note that there are errors on the cgi-script page see this thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

geraldholdswort
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Just a little warning - if you use such a form as described above, your email address is visible to all and sundry (albeit in your HTML, but easily enough for webbots to harvest) and hence your spam levels will increase.  Angry Writing your own PHP to send mail will hide your email address in the PHP code on the CCGI server, and this is only visible server-side (i.e. web-bots will only get the HTML produced from the PHP script).