cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PhpGedView configure database (MySQL)

appleshaw
Grafter

PhpGedView configure database (MySQL)

I have started to use the cgi web space by uploading PhpGedView. Having set permissions the next step is to Configure it. As it primarily supports MySQL I have activated this but when I try to save the configuration file I get the error message
"Your current database configuration is bad. Please check your database connection parameters and configure again.
DB Error: connect failed [nativecode=Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)] ** Array"
Any advice on what I have missed out? I looked at the MySQL Administration page and could not see if I should be doing anything but could not understand what was involved and rather than change things. left it alone
Peter Beaven
7 REPLIES 7
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: PhpGedView configure database (MySQL)

Sounds like it's trying to connect to a local MySQL server instead of a remote one.
During installation, phpGedView should ask you for the following:
Database Type:  MySQL
Database Host:   Rumpus or Humbug depending on the activation email you received from Plusnet
Database Username:  Check the activation email you received from Plusnet
Database Password:  Check the activation email you received from Plusnet
Database Name: Check the activation email you received from Plusnet

These might be something like:
MySQL
Rumpus
youraccount_pn
a6fc78d80e0e07da87b9
youraccount_pn
Hope that helps!
B.
appleshaw
Grafter

Thanks Barry
That got me past the first hurdle and now get a second set of error messages.
Anyone know what they mean - and more to the point how to cure the problems
ERROR:-26 DB Error: insufficient permissions
SQL:CREATE INDEX messages_to ON pgv_messages (m_to) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi03.plus.net' for table 'pgv_messages']
SQL:CREATE INDEX favorites_username ON pgv_favorites (fv_username) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi03.plus.net' for table 'pgv_favorites']
SQL:CREATE INDEX blocks_username ON pgv_blocks (b_username) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi03.plus.net' for table 'pgv_blocks']
SQL:CREATE INDEX news_username ON pgv_news (n_username) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi03.plus.net' for table 'pgv_news']
SQL:CREATE INDEX mutex_name ON pgv_mutex (mx_name) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi03.plus.net' for table 'pgv_mutex']

ERROR 2: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/01/ap/appleshaw/PhpGedView/includes/functions_db.php:140)
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /share/storage/01/ap/appleshaw/PhpGedView/includes/functions_db.php:140) in /share/storage/01/ap/appleshaw/PhpGedView/includes/functions_print.php on line 523
Peter Beaven
zubel
Community Veteran

Hmm, I think you may have entered an incorrect username for the database.
The username (and database name) will usually be yourusername_vispcode
so, for Plusnet that would be:
appleshaw_pn
It looks like you have just entered 'appleshaw'.
B.
appleshaw
Grafter

The information in my access letter was:-
Server Details
==============
MySQL Host: humbug
Username: appleshaw
Password: *******
DB Name: appleshaw_pn
This is what I entered. When I tried to add _pn to 'Datbase Username' PhpGedView generated another error.
However I have been able to move to the next stage of PhpGedView and create an account, so I could try uploading a Gedcom. Not sure whether to try it if the underlying database is not sorted. Can not hurt I suppose
zubel
Community Veteran

My mistake - it's been a long time since I set up Mysql Wink
Missing indexes shouldn't cause a problem unless your database grows to be fairly large.  it would still be preferable to find out why your user didn't have the correct permissions in the first place though.
Cue a comms team member who could investigate, perhaps?
B.
appleshaw
Grafter

Barry
Thanks for advice .....BUT
I uploaded a gedcom and got dozens of errors of the type
SQL:CREATE INDEX indi_id ON pgv_individuals (i_id) [nativecode=1142 ** INDEX command denied to user 'appleshaw'@'ccgi02.plus.net' for table 'pgv_individuals']
Should I ftp the site and try to fix permissions, and if so where would they be?
appleshaw
Grafter

Permissions were the problem.
The upload added files to the index and these need to be 777.
Seems to work now - have something to play with
Thanks again
Peter Beaven