Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographs

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Photographs

I Currently use picasa to put photographs on the web, however it is somewhat limited in what you can do, so I would like to set up a web site but have no idea where to start. I Know nothing about html or other languages used to build such a site and the main criteria is that it must be as cheap as possible. I do not even have any web space but assume this could be purchased from plus net for an increase in my monthly fees.
Any advice anyone can give me (please keep it simple & Jargon free) I would be grateful for.
I have of course looked on the web but most web building sites are not cheap and the ones that are I would have no way of knowing which was the best/easiest to use.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Photographs

Shutter recommended this which looks to be very simple indeed - and it's free
http://jalbum.net/ and this is what he did with it http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Also Irfan view will make a HTML program for you, including a thumbnail page clickable to full picture, this can then be uploaded to your free PN webspace
Good program for organising the photos on you PC
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

What is it that you are looking for exactly? I created a PHP image gallery, but it's more tailored to user-published photos, with an administration panel for webmasters to accept or deny the uploaded image(s).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I do not even have any web space
  I think you will find you have 250 Mb, what package are you on?, see web space also who do you intend to look at the site?  one other consideration if the Photos are popular you will also use a lot of Bandwidth in accessing the web space.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Moke,
What I am looking for is a set up where I can upload pictures (could exceed 1000), allow people to contact me in a guest book or via e-mail and have the ability to add a certain amount of dialogue  i.e. details about a walk that a particular set of photographs relate to.
A search facility would also be useful but not essential.
Pierre-Pierre. I am on the cheapest broadband package available £9.99 a month (With a further 75p paid for 1GB extra a month)
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Oldjim,
Thanks for the link to memosphotography, looks impressive, I will follow it through and see how I get on
Thanks again
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Some of what you want can be done with Flickr.com, the free one has a limit on monthly downloads, you can set public or private access, it has a comment box, you can annotate a map where the photos were taken
Take a look at some of mine from Eden project http://www.flickr.com/photos/25737856@N04/2598922008
I have a flash gadget that grabs gps locations and times to marry up with photos, with this I get the route and photos on a sat map  see below  - Bury St Edmunds Catherdral Gardens
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Pierre-Pierre,
Having a gps location linked to a photo would be useful but what do you mean by a flash gadget?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are several available, look at GPS tracker on Google, I have the GISTEQ from Expansys.com, its about the same size as a Film Canister cost me approx £60,  the supplied program marries up the photo exif data and the GPS track.  it can then upload to Flickr or Google maps
also see reviews
pierre_pierre
Grafter

after much searching found another more recent  here  Summary
News: Qstarz announce ultra small BT GPS and BT GPS Dataloggers
Qstarz recently announced the addition of 2 new GPS devices to their product lineup. These are the BT-Q890 Bluetooth GPS receiver nano and the BT-Q1300 Bluetooth GPS Travel Recorder nano. (Now where have I heard the name nano used before... I recall it is a Unix text editor Cheesy )
These devices are promoted as "Ultra beautiful! Ultra thin! Ultra portable!". Well in size they are quite small, measuring just 38mm x 62mm x 7mm and at just over 20g they are light as well, but the most interesting thing about these devices is that they will use the latest MTK GPS Chipset. This has a sensitivity level of -165dBm and 66 channels whereas the previous MTK GPS is -159dBm and 51 channels. This may not sound a lot but the measurement is based on a logarithmic scale so the -6 represents a very significant improvement in sensitivity.
Not only are these new devices small and sensitive, they also have a hint of style about them, gone are the bland black boxes. The new BT GPS devices have a stunning design on a nicely designed casing. It will be interesting to get my hands on one to determine what they feel like and more importantly what the extra sensitivity means in real life usage.
The new devices priced at £70 for the Datalogger nano and £50 for the BT GPS nano should be available now. In the UK the Qstarz products can be purchased from SuperGPSTrader and in the USA from BuyGPSNow.
Click here to read more including the Qstarz press release and discuss...
Posted by Mike Barrett on Wednesday, July 09 @ 10:32:37 GMT
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I get more search results looking at gps datalogers
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

What you are looking for (minus the GPS data) would be relatively straight-forward to throw together; I might have time tonight to do so - it would need a new MySQL database though, and I'm not sure what PlusNet webmail services include (I know, the horror of me not knowing. I should be shot! :P)
EDIT: When you say a search feature, what would you be searching for? Specific words within the dialogue?
Assos
Grafter

Mike, the plusnet webspace gives one mySQL database per user and there is not facility to add another...
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Thanks Daniel; it could all be done using one table in the database (is there any limitation to number of tables?)