Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing Call?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Phishing Call?

At 11.13am, my wife responded to call from 01471940612.  The person on the phone said that he was from BT Openreach and he understood that we were having internet speed issues.  I was not home so she said that she did not know anything about internet and it would be better if he spoke with me after about an hour later when I was in to take his call.

Never call a call back.  Is this phishing call? Or is BT Openreach desperate to lure me to switch my ISP from PlusNet?

Can PlusNet support please check if the number above belongs to BT and if it is a genuine source?

Also, this post is to warn other PlusNetters to be aware of such phishing calls.

Many regards and hope PlusNet support can respond to the above query.

Chandu.

6 REPLIES 6
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 24

Re: Phishing Call?

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting in touch and providing these details.

I can confirm that the number you have provided does not register as an Openreach number and is likely a phishing scam.

All I can advise is that these numbers pop up from time to time and being mindful is the best course of action. Should there ever be any requirement for Openreach to contact you this would be as a result of a fault raised or modify order placed with Plusnet.

If you ever have any concerns of this nature, do exactly the same again and we will happily assist you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Warwick
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star

Thank you Warwick.  Is there any way of blocking this number to come through to me?

Will appreciate your feedback.

Chandu.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 24

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting back to me.

These calls are a difficult subject as the numbers they use are not around for very long before moving onto a different one. I would mention that we have a product called Plusnet Call Protect that can assist you with this. If blocks a number of numbers already on a list as well as giving you the option to add further numbers to the block list manually. You can view more details and add this via the link here

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Warwick
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

The first five digits show that the number would be on the Isle of Skye but the number is two digits too long.  Being somewhat remote, and with a population of some 10,000, I doubt BT would have a call centre there.

Highlighted
chandu
Rising Star

@Warwick wrote:

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting back to me.

These calls are a difficult subject as the numbers they use are not around for very long before moving onto a different one. I would mention that we have a product called Plusnet Call Protect that can assist you with this. If blocks a number of numbers already on a list as well as giving you the option to add further numbers to the block list manually. You can view more details and add this via the link here

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Thank you very much.  I may be interested in taking up PlusNet Call Protect.

Regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

@Jonpe wrote:

The first five digits show that the number would be on the Isle of Skye but the number is two digits too long.  Being somewhat remote, and with a population of some 10,000, I doubt BT would have a call centre there.

Thank you very much.  Most helpful info.

Regards,

Chandu.