Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing Call?

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Phishing Call?

At 11.13am, my wife responded to call from 01471940612.  The person on the phone said that he was from BT Openreach and he understood that we were having internet speed issues.  I was not home so she said that she did not know anything about internet and it would be better if he spoke with me after about an hour later when I was in to take his call.

Never call a call back.  Is this phishing call? Or is BT Openreach desperate to lure me to switch my ISP from PlusNet?

Can PlusNet support please check if the number above belongs to BT and if it is a genuine source?

Also, this post is to warn other PlusNetters to be aware of such phishing calls.

Many regards and hope PlusNet support can respond to the above query.

Chandu.

12 REPLIES 12
Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Phishing Call?

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting in touch and providing these details.

I can confirm that the number you have provided does not register as an Openreach number and is likely a phishing scam.

All I can advise is that these numbers pop up from time to time and being mindful is the best course of action. Should there ever be any requirement for Openreach to contact you this would be as a result of a fault raised or modify order placed with Plusnet.

If you ever have any concerns of this nature, do exactly the same again and we will happily assist you.

chandu
Rising Star

Thank you Warwick.  Is there any way of blocking this number to come through to me?

Will appreciate your feedback.

Chandu.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting back to me.

These calls are a difficult subject as the numbers they use are not around for very long before moving onto a different one. I would mention that we have a product called Plusnet Call Protect that can assist you with this. If blocks a number of numbers already on a list as well as giving you the option to add further numbers to the block list manually. You can view more details and add this via the link here

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The first five digits show that the number would be on the Isle of Skye but the number is two digits too long.  Being somewhat remote, and with a population of some 10,000, I doubt BT would have a call centre there.

chandu
Rising Star

@Warwick wrote:

Hi @chandu

Thanks for getting back to me.

These calls are a difficult subject as the numbers they use are not around for very long before moving onto a different one. I would mention that we have a product called Plusnet Call Protect that can assist you with this. If blocks a number of numbers already on a list as well as giving you the option to add further numbers to the block list manually. You can view more details and add this via the link here

If you need any further assistance just let me know.

Thank you very much.  I may be interested in taking up PlusNet Call Protect.

Regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

@Jonpe wrote:

The first five digits show that the number would be on the Isle of Skye but the number is two digits too long.  Being somewhat remote, and with a population of some 10,000, I doubt BT would have a call centre there.

Thank you very much.  Most helpful info.

Regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

@Warwick 

Just to let everyone know that I had a call yesterday from 01906312782 and today from 01902261890 both, I believe, to be phishing calls.  I did not answer the calls on both occasions and hence they went to voicemail.

The transcript of the messages (both were the same) left is: "Your connection in next 24 hours at your actual address will be compromised.  For uninterrupted connection press 1 to be connected to speak to a technician...…"

From yesterday's call the 24 hours have come and gone and my connection is still good!!

Please confirm that there is no issue with my line, just to be sure that the call/s I had are NOT from PlusNet.

It seems I better sign up for call protect!!

Many regards and I await your response.

Chandu.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@chandu I will confirm both those calls are perfectly safe to ignore - the first one is from an unassigned area code - i.e.it doesn't exist,the second supposedly from Wolverhampton - not a Plusnet office location.

In any case these calls originate from overseas, usually the Indian sub-continent, and the 'UK' number you see is spoofed.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @chandu Thanks for getting back to us.

Those numbers wouldn't be from us, if we call you it'd be from a withheld phone number.

I've checked your line and I can't see any changes or cease requests, so I think it's safe to ignore them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chandu
Rising Star

Thanks for your confirmations @jab1 and @Gandalf ,

Last few days I had phishing calls, today I have received a scam email from someone calling themselves 'olle51' stating that my plusnet email is compromised and even if I change my password, they will still be able to hack in as they have installed one RAT software into you device and they have accessed all my confidential information from my system, including my contacts.

They want me to pay them 600 usd in crypto currency and supplied their Bitcoin wallet number. I have 48 hours to do so.

The question is - Is my plusnet email account really hacked? Can Plus Net reassure me on this.

Currently, I intend to ignore such emails.

Many regards,

Chandu.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @chandu 

I'd say that definitely sounds like a scam to me, it's probably worth ignoring it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
msbernice7
Grafter

I had a call today supposedly from BT wanting me to tell the guy about my router as I wasn't getting the right speed.  The number was 01261 304957

I told the man he was speaking rubbish and hung up Smiley