cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal website software

ageinghippy
Dabbler

Personal website software

I've offered a freind my help in designing and managing a new website for her.
Been a few years since u did any Web work.  Kat tools I used where dreamwaever and front page.
What windows software can anyone recommend.
Dite will be hosted on plusnet.  May need a typical to buy music on both media and download
Thanks 
Trevor
4 REPLIES 4
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Personal website software

Quote from: ageinghippy
What windows software can anyone recommend.

I'd recommend Arachnophilia (Legacy, 4.0 version) (free of charge)(careware).  It's not as high tech as the upgraded Java version, but it's easy to use and it lets you change many pages at once, if you use the same basic format (for links etc.) for all pages.
I've used it for about 15 years, probably, without issues, for sites such as http://www.surfers.plus.com - the software has lots of capabilities, though it's not WYSIWYG, like Dreamweaver.  Once you can read the HTML (and there are surprisingly few things to learn, there) it's really straightforward.  There's other free software like Notepad++, which I find useful for huge .txt files, but Arachnophilia is vastly easier for pagebuilding.
There's probably loads of other pagebuilding software people can recommend, just thought I'd flag this one up as I happened to see your post.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I also suggest Notepad++ as well. HTML and CSS are trivial and in my opinion you don't need dedicated software to do this as you normally end up with huge amounts of unneeded HTML in your pages. Set your page design(s) on graph paper and use as a template. If your skills are a bit rusty then you'll find all the information you need on the internet.
Also, an added bonus of using the likes of Notepad++ is that you learn HTML and CSS, and as a result you can make fixes, changes and additions a lot easier, as you not only know the syntax of the markup, but you also know how and why the page is constructed the way it is.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a look at Wordpress although that will only work on the CGI options if they have it
I did this from a position of zero knowledge http://www.dorset-ramblers.org.uk/
Just to add - the standard webspace included is not suitable for selling things
Mav
Fixes: 514

You haven't mentioned a budget but Webplus X8 is WYSIWYG.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still