Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions problem on hostopia webspace

pedroc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Permissions problem on hostopia webspace

I am trying to fix a corrupted website hosted on hostopia via PlusNet.  I want to build a parallel copy of the corrupt files before I delete the old directory but I am finding two problems that I would lke some help with:

1/  Despite apparently succesfully setting permissions on the new database in MySQL, both my databases (old and new) show me as having no privileges when viewed in phpmyadmin.  This seems to prevent me accessing the database to install the OSCommerce software, although I was able to import data into it.

2/ I have several redundant databases that I can see but cannot delete from FileManager Pro.  A popup box  tells me I should  use MySQL to delete them but they are not visible in MySQL.

Can anybody help please, it all worked beautifully in Xampp?

7 REPLIES 7
pedroc
Dabbler

Re: Permissions problem on hostopia webspace

No responses?  In the absence of any suggestions, how do I get somebody from plusnet to look at the above post?  Should I approach hostopia directly regarding legacy PlusNet web space issues?

Withdrawing the superb ticket system seems to have left a hole on the support package, please advise how I can resolve this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry for the delayed response.

Unfortunately it's not something we'd support and to be honest I wouldn't know where to start, so I've raised a task with our infrastructure team(Ref:INFOPS-4442) for further assistance on this and we'll update you when we have a response back

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@pedroc Are all files corrupted, or just database files? Have you tried to manipulate database files in /databases using File Manager Pro? In my view that is very fraught. The database files are not standard files which can safely be manipulated by that application.

Databases need to be created (and deleted) using MySQL Manager. PHP scripts, and phpMyAdmin can create and manipulate tables in the database. When created the database should be given all privileges needed for these operations to be carried out by the assigned database user. What additional ones are you having to set?

David
pedroc
Dabbler

@spraxyt Thanks David, your reply has got me thinking.  This whole issue could relate to permissions. 

My website software includes a database backup option that calls backup.php.  After many years of smooth running, and without any changes from me, it recently that started to fail, giving an error "The requested URL was rejected. If you think this is an error, please contact the webmaster." The other functionality of my site appears normal.

I am able to back up the database manually from within phpMyadmin and restore it to another server.  I have checked the file permissions on backup.php and they look fine and backup works on that replicated setup.

So I thought I would try to replicate the working but "corrupt" setup onto the hostopia server alongside the original but find that although I was allowed to create the new blank database the MySQL user permissions would not apply when viewed in phpMyadmin.  So I am unable to open the database to load and link to the OSCommerce php software, receiving the error message:

"There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"

I have additional sites with hostopia and find their service response to be outstandingly responsive, would they accept a request directly from me regarding this as it is technically PlusNet webspace?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your backup system compatible with PHP 7.1? That means the MySQL extension has been removed and MySQLi must be used instead.

Additionally the ereg* functions have been removed (which includes the split* functions).

When a new database is created it will have a new database username and password - has that been taken into account?

David
pedroc
Dabbler

Going back to the root of the problem, which was that my webpage behaviour has suddenly changed.  This may or may not be due to corruption of my files (I think not) and I now see there was similar problem to mine a while back that was eventually fixed by Hostopia tweaking a setting: 

see    https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/The-requested-URL-was-rejected/td-p/1245972

I wont need to battle with all these phmmyadmin complexities if I can just resolve the original problem whereby the website's backup.php is failing with "The requested URL was rejected. If you think this is an error, please contact the webmaster.   Your support ID is:11676352585473088101"

How can I get PlusNet's excellent Bob Pullen or one of his colleagues to raise this with hostopia?  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've received a reply back from our engineers advising that this needs to be raised to our hosting team to report to Hostopia. While you can raise a ticket regarding hosting issues Here it doesn't actually go to our hosting team, but it'll go to a general customer service workflow.

I've therefore raised this on your behalf as per this ticket. They'll pick it up as soon as they can and update you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet