Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Page Refresh after Site Update

katpaw
Grafter

Page Refresh after Site Update

Hi all,
I run a website hosted with Plusnet, and when I update it, readers often tell me that they are not seeing the update (they are seeing an old version).
Usually, if users clear temp files/cache etc and refresh, this works, but it is coming up too often to be treated as one offs. I am assuming most people have their brpowser settings to look for new updates "everytime I visit the page".
The homepage is split into 2 frames (left and right) with an underpinning index.htm file.
I usually update the left and right frame htm pages of course, but the index.htm does not change.
Is there some code I can include to ensure that for every visit the users see the most up to date page? Or should I lose the frames altogether?
Cheers
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Page Refresh after Site Update

As a general rule frames are not a good idea
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Assuming you are prepared to update index.htm you could try adding one or both of the meta tags
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Creation-Date" CONTENT="2012-07-18">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Last-Update" CONTENT="2012-07-27">
to the <head> section of the page - obviously setting the date(s) appropriately.
To include time the format is
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Last-Update" CONTENT="2012-07-27T14:44:00">
David
David
katpaw
Grafter

Hi David,
That's great many thanks - yes I am happy to update the index.htm file everytime I do other updates.
Thanks again
Paul
adie:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Actually, having read through this again, I don't think my suggestion will help since it's the content of the frames that changes. I don't use frames myself so I'm not on firm ground here, but including "Last-Update" in their head sections might work.
David
David