cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTR Record

pb52
Dabbler

PTR Record

I am experimenting with running my own mail server at home using Synology MailPlus Server.

One of the issues i am seeing is that reverse DNS lookup is reporting a mismatch between my domain names (hosted by 1 and 1) and my PTR record, linked to my PN account,

I have a static IP.

It is unclear to me whether I can request that my PTR record be redirected to my domain registrar or whether I need to transfer my domain to PN.

What do I need to do please and what is the process?

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: PTR Record

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Request response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pb52
Dabbler

Thank you for escalating this for me.  In fact, I have a ticket open with PN and they are progressing this for me

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm really sorry for the delayed response.

I'll be honest (As always) and say this is beyond my knowledge.

However, @bobpullen might be able to offer some guidance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pb52
Dabbler

Issue has been resolved thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

For the benefit of anyone else who may find themselves in this situation, it can be resolved by configuring a PTR record with the DNS host to point to the Plusnet IP, and then asking that we change the rDNS record for your static IP to match the forward record.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵