Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSTN/WLR Switch off

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

PSTN/WLR Switch off

Currently I'm on an ADSL2+ connection, contracted until July 4th 2021. Openreach have just announced that my exchange is one of 118 to have analog services switched off by June 2021.

Does this mean that I'll be forced to upgrade to fibre at greater monthly cost? 

If the old copper based systems are to go ,does that mean FTTP or will the wiring from the local cab to my home still be used so it'll be FTTC? 

Furthermore I presume my current router will become a paperweight so will I have to carry the cost of the new home kit?

Any thoughts info gratefully received !!

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: PSTN/WLR Switch off

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/openreach-to-stop-selling-copper-phone-in-118-areas-go...

My interpretation is that June 2021 is the 12 month declaration of "stop sell" date.

A year before the point where new copper based services will not be sold.

After the stop sell new customers will only be offered a FTTP service.

Existing copper based services will still continue until a later date.

Hopefully by then BT consumer management will have allowed PN to sell FTTP services...

Richard

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

You can interpret that way - its not clear when they talk about "stop selling" whether they mean new AND existing connections - but an article on Thinkbroadband suggests notice in June 2020 for a switch off June 2021 with this target of at least 75% premises passed - so presumably they are going to proceed cab by cab ,and I can't see how they can justify keeping customers on the "old Cu" network once an area served by an individual cab. has full FTTP availability.

Hopefully , a PN staffer with a bit of knowledge of the process will read and comment ?Huh

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I understand PSTN will be retired - but that is not the same as getting rid of copper connections. Phone services will be provided using VoIP over whatever broadband service is available. So over FTTP or FTTC if present, but over ADSL if necessary - the latter two still using copper from the cabinet or exchange.

Customers that use a phone but not broadband will get a 500kbps broadband service to provide VoIP services.

Copper will be completely retired much later - my guess is 20-30 years.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

@corringham - thanks for that - I couldn't get my mind around how they were going to replace much of the old subterranean copper in a year when they don't appear to have started any new fibre work .Openreach have been too busy connecting a new 390 house estate being built on the outskirts of our village.