cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[POLL] Should new signups for CCGI hosting, be offered Preview PAYH instead?

xpcomputers
Grafter

[POLL] Should new signups for CCGI hosting, be offered Preview PAYH instead?

I'm surprised to see how many people are posting in this thread with questions regarding setting up a new website on a new CCGI account. They are going to be very frustrated in 6 months to find they need to set it all up again on a new platform, especially since that new platform is more or less available now!
The Preview PAYH platform has had time to bed in now and has no real problems (although it will continue to get even better!).
Whereas, the existing CCGI accounts will be expiring in the next 6 months or so.
Surely now is the time to be actively steering people (more or less strongly) away from creating a new CCGI account, in favour of the Preview hosting platform.
How strongly should Plusnet be pushing the new platform? This is the question at hand....
Note this isn't an official poll, I am posting this as myself (not in any official PUG capacity), because I am interested in gauging the community opinion on this....

4 REPLIES 4
mal0z
Grafter

Re: [POLL] Should new signups for CCGI hosting, be offered Preview PAYH instead?

I agree Mike - the PAYH platform is a fully stable product - and non - PN customers are charged real money for it. http://www.pay-as-you-host.com/.
I have a paid for PAYH live site which is very stable, and a test site using the PN "free" trial.
So given that PN are now offering customers "free" hosting on it - I can see no reason for new customers to use the old platform.
OK - customers should be made aware that the user interface will be amended / simplified - as part of the trail .
Mal
Pod
Grafter

Re: [POLL] Should new signups for CCGI hosting, be offered Preview PAYH instead?

Mal is essentially correct IMO, except the Plesk CP isn't yet fully configured, so we need more support than should be necessary once it is.
So, I think PlusNet are doing the right thing as they are, although raising the awareness of the PAYH trial is surely an attractive option for those who wish to use PHP (I dislike the twin server CCGI approach is partly why PAYH is so wonderful in comparison) or those who are generally more techy inclined.
XP, when the trial (especially the Plesk CP aspects and the corresponding PlusNet account options - my current problem involves the MySQL database creation and configuration) are nearer ready for full time use, then would be a good time to swap the primary and secondary options over - until then I do agree the trial offers a great resource, I particularly like having a more comprehensive CP (although have used cPanel more, so am finding Plesk "different") but feel PlusNet are right to make the PAYH trial an "opt in" as things currently stand.
Kudos to PlusNet for the PAYH trial, am impressed with their approach and how they have handled the obvious  support-overload due to it  (is refreshing after my previous ISP towards the end).
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Pod
Mal is essentially correct IMO, except the Plesk CP isn't yet fully configured, so we need more support than should be necessary once it is.
[..]
Kudos to PlusNet for the PAYH trial, am impressed with their approach and how they have handled the obvious  support-overload due to it  (is refreshing after my previous ISP towards the end).

I agree - the PAYH Plesk interface is not ideal, but to me - who has  never used CGI  - is not 100% ideal, but they have committed to improve it.
Ianwild
Grafter

We do plan to do this in the next phase of the trial. I'd certainly agree that adding people to CGI isn't useful now and will only lead to annoyance for many people. We didn't want to make a change like this from day one, just because we weren't sure if someone would find any major issues with the way we've set up the PAYH platform to support CGI. Also, account creation is a manual process so we didn't want to be overloaded. As it is, we're really pleased with everyone's feedback and help on this and it would make sense to move to the next phase of the trial and make this change quite soon. I'll have a think about exactly what needs doing and try and get some web development time scheduled later next week.
Cheers,
Ian