cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN says - huawei modems no longer compatible with the BTW network

Mars2050
Rising Star

PN says - huawei modems no longer compatible with the BTW network

I thought I would post this separate from my complaint in the fiber broadband forum but is related to me trying to resolve my issues.

I had a chat with a technical manager yesterday at plusnet and he told me something you may want to check out.

Back in about  2012  I bought myself a hacked huawei HG610, so I could see my line stats and any issues with my connection. It were all the thing back then. As you should know, the incompetent BTW decided to lock you out of the modem interface and even your own line stats.

ECI modems are hard or almost impossible to unlock. So the old huawei modems were easy to unlock and use. I have not used mine for some years but recently tried to use it again, to test and see what my line stats were.

I could not log in via a dial up PPOE connection as instructed by PN. Error 678 all the time.

According to this PN manager he said, that the old huawei modems are no longer compatible with the BTW network and BTW no longer use or have any huawei equipment. PN believe this is why I could not use it to Connect.

Soon as I put my ECI modem back on it connected the same way.

So anyone believe this or wants to test it out?

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PN says - huawei modems no longer compatible with the BTW network

That is a load of rubbish and if it isn't I want either

a replacement modem for my Huawei one

or

a new all in one router

All supplied free of charge with no P&P charge no contract tie in

Deleted as I didn't spot the very old version of the modem Embarrassed

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is the Openreach HG612 running the latest (G.INP compatible) firmware (B030SP08)? If it dates from 2012 and has never been updated since then, that might explain why it doesn't work.

Mars2050
Rising Star

I am out of sync with this now, as I haven't used it for many years but most likely not. It's a HG610. See attachment of the current firmware, software. I don't want to lose line stats by updating it though, if it works on my modem.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The DSL firmware version A2pv6bC014d.d22e looks very old, and is quite possibly incompatible with the current FTTC network. I think the current HG612 firmware version has something like 38 for those two digits.

I'm not sure if Openreach ever supplied the HG610, I think some of the earliest modems supplied all got replaced, it's going back so far I don't really know.

Mars2050
Rising Star

Thanks ejs. I better not try and update it then until someone can advise if it's upgradeable and what firmware if any, to use on it.

I can tell you it worked perfectly back in 2012 and think I bought it from the bloke who installed the hacked firmware on them like that.

Mars2050
Rising Star

According to a post in this thread, HG612 firmware wont work on a HG610 but can work the other way round. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11890.15

The unlocked HG612 are going for high crazy prices on ebay.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Mars2050 wrote:

As you should know, the incompetent BTW decided to lock you out of the modem interface and even your own line stats.

Why does choosing to lock users out of something make BT 'incompetent'? It seems a very sensible idea when shipping a router that is supposed to just be a modem. 95% of users don't give a stuff about line statistics and 100% of them can't do anything useful with them when they have them so no harm there either. In my opinion their decision to lock them down actually shows a large degree of competency.

According to this PN manager he said, that the old huawei modems are no longer compatible with the BTW network and BTW no longer use or have any huawei equipment. PN believe this is why I could not use it to Connect.

Now that might be an example of incompetency - by a PN staffer. As you've posted it that's far too much of a sweeping statement.

So anyone believe this or wants to test it out?

I'm still using my openreach HG612. Comments elsewhere suggest that it's actually one of the better modems and worth hanging on to.