Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHPBB3

NicholasKey
Dabbler

PHPBB3

Hi there,
I hope you are well, new to the forum Smiley
Can anyone offer a step-by-step guide on how to get phpBB3 up and running please? I have activated and then copied the components up to the CGI space but seem to be  unable to run the install file, 'index.php' although I am a bit confused about which URL I should use.
I have searched other posts for phpBB3 but there doesnt seem to be a complete solution, just bits and pieces which I find confusing.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Nick
14 REPLIES 14
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: PHPBB3

There is a phpBB tutorial in UserTools (http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/51). Since telnet access to ccgi is disabled now some of the steps mentioned there will have to be carried out by other means but from your comments I think you've probably completed most of those already.
You will need to make all PHP files executable; you might find the PHP script shown in this post helpful for doing that.
David
David
nadger
Rising Star

I used FireFTP ( Firefox) to upload my play site http://ccgi.nadger.plus.com/phpbb/index.php
It is, as you say, a question of getting permissions correct - normally 0755 if I remember correctly
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
normally 0755 if I remember correctly

Not 0755 but 0700. Please see the post mentioned by David. 0755 is insecure.
Gabe
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response  the guide is useful.
Im still running into difficulty though - once I upload the zip file I cant seem to unzip it, Telnet doesnt seem to support the command (not that I can navigate to the directory anyway). I learnt that it could be unzipped by using a web-based FTP client but my login fails despite the fact that I am using the same credentials as CuteFTP, which connects fine but also cannot unzip.
Am I missing something here?
Nick
nadger
Rising Star

I unzipped into a folder on my hard drive and then uploaded folders and files to /phpbb folder
You should end up with a series of folders - admin, cache, docs etc and files - common.php, config.php etc
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Thanks for your help John,
Ive set the permissions on the 'root' phpBB3 folder to 0700 and am trying to connect to the install page - http://www.nicholaskey.f9.plus.com/phpBB3/install/index.php but Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, yada yada yada.
Any suggestions?
Nick
nadger
Rising Star

As you'll have seen I was using 0755 and what you may find is that you'll need to change permissions on individual files - I found that trying to change all permissions at one go didn't work for me.
I was, as I said, using Firefox
Gabe
Grafter

Hi Nick,
The folders need to be 0710. Script files need to be 0700. The script posted will do that for you.
Hi John,
0755 not a good idea. If you'd like me to demo why (benignly), PM me.
Gabe
nadger
Rising Star

Hi Gabe
I've actually accepted what you've said and changed file permissions.
I just thought that Nick might find it an easier way to get forum up and running.
Hi Nick
I found it useful to have FTP connection running whilst doing install etc - meant I could change permissions if needed.
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Thanks Guys,
I cant be far off now - when I point the browser at the php script that alters the permissions IE says ' the website declined to show you this page', which sounds like a permissions issue.
I should be going in via the ccgi.nicholaskey.force9.co.uk/phpBB3/test.php...is that right?
Nick
nadger
Rising Star

I can't find a test.php file so that could be the problem
Try ccgi.nicholaskey.force9.co.uk/phpBB3/install/index.php
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: NicholasKey
I should be going in via the ccgi.nicholaskey.force9.co.uk/phpBB3/test.php...is that right?

If you move the script file up a folder, into your root folder and make sure it's own permissions are set 0700, it should run. It won't run where it is if you've set the folder permissions to 0700. Access at ccgi.nicholaskey.force9.co.uk/test.php
Gabe
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Morning!
Great, Im now looking at the installation screen Smiley
I cant thank you enough for your help, cheers!
Nick
nadger
Rising Star

I see that you've got it up and running, Nick  Smiley