cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP - customer support suggested i post here....

badbetty
Grafter

PHP - customer support suggested i post here....

Recently i contacted Customer Support regarding a missing PHP extension for handling XSL (xml stylesheet language)
It seems that XML is enabled (reader, writer etc) but not XSL - the two kind of exist together in the real world in my opinion.
Long story short, first my enquiry was escalated, then i was informed 'they' are unable to enable it, then on pressing the matter i have interpreted the response to mean it could be, but it would require community support before it may be considered for enabling by the developers !!
In line with that, I have posted it here in the [most likely] rare event others may be interested in it and show support for it for it to be considered   Huh ho hum
If this post is in the wrong forum, please will a moderator/administrator relocate it (if possible)
Thank you
PS: i have no idea once someone supports it, how it gets fed-back, how it is monitored or what happens for it to be enabled - which i thought was a nothing of a task - but i am not in charge as it were.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PHP - customer support suggested i post here....

I think that this is related to a website hosted on Plusnet so moved to Hosting and Domains
If I am wrong we can shift it back
badbetty
Grafter

i have now been encouraged as i see it, by Plusnet to get you folks on the forum/community to help me get this request's profile raised.
Only then will they consider enabling the module.
I feel it a bit of a joke to treat customers this way to get something simple done, but alas 'they' are unmoved.
Do you have any suggestions of how I can do this?!    Can you support me (whatever this means) please.

Thank you
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This topic has had 72 views but the absence of any independent comment here suggests none felt the omission of this PHP extension was restricting them in any way. Are there any third party applications which require this extension that users might consider adding to their sites to simplify maintenance or improve usability?
In short what are we missing by it not being available?
David
David
badbetty
Grafter

none is the simple answer, unless you understand how XSL/XML etc work together  and i suspect, without being disrespectful, that it would always be a minority of plusnet users who would make use of this technology - how many use php, perl or whatever.......its one of those useful tools that until you try it you wont know for your particular requirement.
my point - i want to use it.  but that's not enough seemingly.  i also believe it is no major problem to enable the small module to complete the XML set - why it was left out no one can answer (quote Plusnet Support) as all the other XML is there!
if its not there no one else can explore it in any case and see what it could do for them. opportunity lost perhaps.
i  can't set about re-writing all the virtues and possibilities of XSL that are already documented on the Net for folk to read.  i'm already jumping through hoops i feel for a small requirement to keep me happy (selfish perhaps, yes) until others catch on - like with any other tool/facility. 
all the other XML technologies are present, except this one which as you will know allows  easy simple transformations of xml for whatever purpose one requires.
so there it is - it was a simple request i thought.  never expected having to go this route to achieve an outcome  😉

thanks for the interest and comment however.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: badbetty
if its not there no one else can explore it in any case and see what it could do for them. opportunity lost perhaps.
i  can't set about re-writing all the virtues and possibilities of XSL that are already documented on the Net for folk to read.  i'm already jumping through hoops i feel for a small requirement to keep me happy (selfish perhaps, yes) until others catch on - like with any other tool/facility.

I didn't expect you to rewrite what is already available on the Internet, but a few links to the better information on its use might have helped. If this leads to users seeing possibilities there could be support for getting it enabled so they can explore.
David
badbetty
Grafter

thank you for your comments
i realise you didnt expect me to re-write it; i was just commenting [very poorly] that it makes no sense as it is already there and easy to find - if one is interested in it.
this is a good introduction to XSL Transformations for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSL_Transformations

well i sit in anticipation 😉

badbetty
Grafter

hmm - if everything were possible, i'd even go as far as to suggest 'XQuery' is enabled too - then 'we' are cooking  🙂
but i'd settle for XSL for now.