cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP contact form in Rapid Weaver

chopcat

PHP contact form in Rapid Weaver

my site is ready to go but the PHP contact page we require does not work.  I presume this is not compatible with the plus net platform.  If not can someone recommend a host that does support it as it is critical to the operation of the site.
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: PHP contact form in Rapid Weaver

Is it possible your form is written for php 5? PN is only php 4 Apologies if you already knew that. There a load of possible scripts available from Hot scripts which work on PN.
I use Joomla CMS on PN and that has an adequate contact form built in plus there are loads of extensions available to make an all singing and dancing contacts page.
Hot scripts are here http://www.hotscripts.com
Joomla are here http://joomla.org
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
You've not actually told us what it is you've tried, which is no help.
I wouldn't see any issue with a Contact Form if it has actually been written correctly.
I could just say "Go and read the PHP Documentation like everyone else..."
but I'm not going to be that nasty...
1. Have you chmod'd the PHP Script to give the necessary Permissions? (755)
2. For all I know you could just have an incorrect path...
3. Have you checked paths, and relative paths for any include's/fopen's... etc
4. Have you checked your Scripts Syntax over? Such as: Brackets (), Bracket Matching {}, End of Line ;... ?
If you've done any of that you'll at least have either a set of logical errors..
or at least some kind of pointer to what is wrong (if anything) if it's not working.
@Word Warrior:
I develop on PHP 5 on my Local Machine and upload to PlusNet's Servers which are PHP 4...
I've never had a problem with compatability of code as such,
it's only ever been minor handeling differences which are very easy to resolve.
Jim,
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Prod_Man

@Word Warrior:
I develop on PHP 5 on my Local Machine and upload to PlusNet's Servers which are PHP 4...
I've never had a problem with compatability of code as such,
it's only ever been minor handeling differences which are very easy to resolve.
Jim,

Try telling Plusnet that and the Plusnet user group http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,5437.0.html
prichardson
Grafter

Development of PHP4 code in a PHP5 envrionment is perfectly fine, when moving it over to a PHP4 implimentation such as our CCGI server.
The problems start when you put actual PHP5 code on to a PHP4 implimentation.
Chopcat.
In a nutshell, there is little detail to go on to suggest an incompatability. Bit like saying "my car doesn't work" (sore spot for me), when nobody actually knows you have a car to start with (christ, what an extreme example).
To assist and provide a starting point. What error occurs when you try to use the form?
If we know what is displayed, we may have the answer right at hand, or will put us on track to the correct line of questioning.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Word

Try telling Plusnet that and the Plusnet user group http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,5437.0.html

I can see where you are coming from Word Warrior, but there are two different scenarios:
1)  The old version of PHP (4.2) currently available on Plusnet servers is now officially unsupported since 8 Aug 2008.  The UserGroup thread you refer to is soliciting support for a move to a supported PHP base along with Current versions of MySQL. 
2)  Prod Man is correctly pointing out that in practice PHP 4.x code will work correctly on PHP 5x and that for most purposes PHP 5.x will run on the PHP 4.2 base that Plusnet support.  But note the italics and Prod Man's observations that some changes may have to be made.  Any compatibility issues between code versions is likely to get worse as new facilities are introduced in the latest versions of PHP.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
I didn't wish to cause confusion on the matter.
It shouldn't be a problem with a fairly easy to use function like mail() with some error handeling.
That is provided it's a Mailer Form that the OP is trying to create,
hopefully you get my point...
Exactly as MauriceC says.
If anyone would like some help getting their PHP 5 things to work on PHP 4,
I'll gladly take a look and see what I can do.
Jim,
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Until the OP gives more info on what exactly is not working this thread is going knowhere.
Let's see if any info is forthcomomg and them we may be able to help.
Pod
Grafter

Hi!
Not sure if this is too late, but "just in case"
Quote from: chopcat
my site is ready to go but the PHP contact page we require does not work.  I presume this is not compatible with the plus net platform.  If not can someone recommend a host that does support it as it is critical to the operation of the site.
thanks
My bet is that you haven't noted the rather, err, eccentric setup PlusNet uses for active (including PHP) content - ie can you confirm the web page is on the CCGI server, not the normal (HTML) web server where htdocs is?
FWIW, I use RapidWeaver (as well as other apps) and so far it's been OK with PN's config once setup correctly - still think the eccenetric PN CCGI setup is a down-side to PN's services, but maybe that's just me  Crazy