cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP Upgrade?

weddell10
Dabbler

PHP Upgrade?

Given that PHP4 is not going to be supported beyond the end of 2007, does Plusnet have plans to upgrade4 to PHP5?  If so, any indication of time-frame? 
It would be useful to know before I start on a site overhaul whether I need to support PHP4 as well as PHP5.
Thanks

Keith
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: PHP Upgrade?

PUGIT item 290
There are no timescales available yet if or when PN plan to support php5 but it has been asked for on several occations.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi guys,
This may happen sooner rather than later.
As part of the recent storage upgrade we also built  6 new cgi servers (4 x ccgi + 2 x cshell) with the hope of replicating the current servers but with newer hardware and kernels.
Soon after the new servers went live, we encountered a few problems. Ben's spent quite a lot of time recently struggling with different kernels and trying to sort these issues out with the vserver guys. Consequently, we might have to accept that vservers might not be able to provide the long term solution we're looking for.
We're now thinking about using Xen virtual machines instead. Unfortunately the current binaries used on the cgi platform are not compatible with Xen so if we were to go with this solution we would be looking at creating a completely new CGI platform.
If we were to go down this route then the new platform would probably be based on Apache 2.2 and PHP5, using suexec instead of the cgiwrap we use on the old platform.
It's early days yet and there would be a proper comms plan to accompany this work should we decide to go ahead however I thought I'd mention it seeing as people are asking about PHP5 again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

weddell10
Dabbler

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep an eye out.

Keith
glyndev
Grafter

Will Python and Perl also be available on the new cgi servers ?.
If so will Ruby also be available ?.
In the old forums most of the cgi questions related to PHP and very rarely did I see a question about Python or Perl, but did see quite a few postings asking for the provision of Ruby.
To me this shouts volumes that people want Ruby and that either 1;  hardly anyone is using Python or Perl,
or 2; everyone who is using Python and Perl are masters and do not require the help of other users.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Both Perl and Python are part of the standard setup so will be available on the new servers.
As for Ruby, there have actually only been 2 or 3 threads with at most a handful of people requesting it so its not something that many people want. There is also a PUGIT 105 and again only 11 have expressed an interest so far which is may not warrant the time or effort to implement given how many other things people want.
intravone
Dabbler

can't wait for python to deployed Smiley
glyndev
Grafter

What are you waiting for....
Its already on the existing cgi servers.
intravone
Dabbler

It is ? when did this happen?...
Now to learn python Tongue
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It has always been on the current ccgi setup and was also on the previous one.
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: TheLaughingBuddha
Now to learn python Tongue

For me a good place to start for Python or any of the scripting languages is www.hotscripts.com which lists scripts, tutorials, software etc.