cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] transferring existing domain names and 'homepages' pages

decomplexity
Rising Star

[PAYH] transferring existing domain names and 'homepages' pages

Having successfully moved the CGI part of several websites to PAYH (in separate subdirectories of a newly allocated domain name), I now want to migrate the HTML parts (i.e. homepages webspace pages) of a few of them in order to assess performance and reliability.
Using a new domain name to replace ccgi.myaccountname.plus.com was not an issue since all my CGI pages were accessed via homepages webspace pages, i.e. the users never saw it except fleetingly on the browser address or status boxes. But the ‘homepages’ pages will need to be accessed via their existing domain names.
So I have a small Catch22:
- I could get PN to host some more new ‘temporary’ domain names until I swing the operational service over to PAYH and raise a ticket to ask PN to swap the temporary ones for the operational ones, but PN will charge me £29.38 for each one transferred in. And I cannot do the move sequentially as the websites cross-refer to each other. So not a Good Idea
- I could allocate temporary subdirectories within my default PAYH myaccountname.plushost.co.uk  subdomain, but this will I imagine give problems when I want to swing the operational domain names over since they will have to replace subdirectories of an existing domain (and my default domain at that  – and I get the impression that this one must always exist so cannot be superseded)
At the time of swing, I could, of course:
- get PN to swing over the operational domain names (to unallocated diskspace within PAYH)
- do a complete download of the operational pages
- reload them to the space pointed to by the newly relocated domain names
but this is untenable for an operational system, especially as I have no control over the timing of the swinging of the domain names (the Plesk ‘add domain name’ icon appears yet to be implemented).
There has to be a better way. Suggestions pls?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
3 REPLIES 3
glyndev
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] transferring existing domain names and 'homepages' pages

For a 'temporary / disposable' domain name. Have a look at www.123reg.co.uk . a domain name is only about £6 for 2 years.
leave the registration at 123reg and transfer to +net for "hosting only" at no cost.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Hmmm... my understanding is that although a 'transfer in' is free (for .uk domains), hosting - which seems undefined in PN's literature but I assume means providing a DNS zone file and providing webspace  - costs around £29 per domain per year for hosting more domains than an account's free amount.

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
glyndev
Grafter

Sorry but didnt realise that you already had your full allowance hosted at +net.
But that said. would it not be possible to set up an alias for the temp domain on the plesk platform and then set up the DNS records at 123reg to point the domain to the plesk server.