cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYH falling behind?

Word_Warrior
Grafter

PAYH falling behind?

I've been using PAYH since the plesk trials and always found it to work for my needs but there always seem to be minor (and a couple of major) niggles with it. The notifications messages threatening to suspend my sites for non payment is a major niggle as I pay by DD through my plusnet BB account.
Other issues are:-
PHP is in need of an update so that the latest versions of Joomla CMS can be installed. Joomla are now up to version 1.7 but you can only run 1.5 on PAYH.
When using the application installer, as opposed to un zipping the tar file in the httpdocs folder you cannot use the install/uninstall function in Joomla, I suspect this is something to do with 'SAFE MODE' which prevents a lot of things happening. I have installed Joomla on my home computer and everything just works but the hoops and hurdles that PAYH put in seem to cause issues, mostly minor ones but issues nevertheless.
These days many hosting companies are offering 'unlimited' space and traffic which sounds great (assuming it's true) PAYH allow only 6Gb of space which in fairness seems a lot but for a reseller account? It isn't much at all especially if you have a photo gallery eating into this space.
I have no issues with the service provided by the PAYH engineers who have been helpful and friendly whenever I've had problems but you try getting hold of one in the middle of the night.
I don't want to move my sites but feel I might have to if they don't move with the times. 1and1 seems an attractive offer with unlimited webspace and traffic but I'm all for 'better the devil you know'
Can someone enlighten me as to when or if PAYH will start competing with the opposition. If you don't you might start losing custom.
Regards WW
8 REPLIES 8
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: PAYH falling behind?

Clearly not interested then.
PAYH is falling behind other hosts. Limited disc space and traffic for a premium price. 1 an 1, Host Papa and many many more offer unlimited disc space, unlimited traffic and free hosting of domains for very reasonable pricing. Does someone at Plusnet/PAYH care to respond and let me know if PAYH is going to catch up with others.
I am constantly under pressure to reduce costs on our website and at around £29.00 pcm PAYH does not appear to be good value for money anymore.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks very much for that, I've passed that on. It's certainly something we'll be looking at but there's no new information available at the moment I'm afraid. We'll certainly be announcing it as and when.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Six months on, clearly not interested then. Whatever happened to the plusnet of old?
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It will only be updated when a security vulnerability is discovered which cannot be fixed by any method other than updating.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
perry
Dabbler

I too have been asking several times about upgrades of PHP and always get a non-commital "No plans" response. I have been a committed Plus.net client providing a service to support many of my clients that have recommended.  However, I am under a lot of pressure to upgrade to Joomla 2.5 and very soon will have to move off PAYH.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: perry
I too have been asking several times about upgrades of PHP and always get a non-commital "No plans" response. I have been a committed Plus.net client providing a service to support many of my clients that have recommended.  However, I am under a lot of pressure to upgrade to Joomla 2.5 and very soon will have to move off PAYH.

I've now moved my websites to Hostpapa for a fraction of the cost of PAYH. I've found that everything works as it's meant to Joomla 1.5.26 was easy to move using Akeeba backup and akeeba kickstart. The cPanel on hostpapa (and many other hosts) is so much easier than the plesk server and you can have as many Databases as you like.
Joomlapolis's Community Builder was always a headache on PAYH because of some permission errors caused by 'SAFE MODE' I think but updating it is a breeze now. I have both J1.5 and J2.5 website now with no issues.
Should have moved years ago.
The Plesk limited server space and traffic is a joke considering the price per month. PN really must do something about this before the customer drift becomes a torrent and PAYH closes down. Oh and another thing, Support only open monday to Friday during office hours is quite frankly a joke.
I've also able to reinstate a photo gallery using the php software Piwigo, it's brilliant, couldn't risk a gallery on PAYH too little space.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Word Warrior
Thanks for the feedack and I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Computech2000
Dabbler

I have been using 1&1.co.uk for some years for webhosting, but have have just created a new account with GoDaddy, which has been quick and easy to setup and there costs are very competitive. There are always discount coupons availablefor use with GoDaddy.
Because GoDaddy is a Microsoft Partner I was able to to configure my new Small Business Server 2011 with GoDaddy's DNS & MX settings automatically and within minutes, whereas other ISPs would have require a lot of manual configuration.  Unfortunately, 1&1 were not very helpful with this issue hence my move to GoDaddy, who seem to cater for everyone's needs domestic and business alike.