cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] What happens when bandwidth limit is exceeded?

tex
Grafter

[PAYH] What happens when bandwidth limit is exceeded?

Will the site be entirely disabled or are speeds reduced like our broadband connections?
8 REPLIES 8
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] What happens when bandwidth limit is exceeded?

Neither.
The system will send an email to advise you that you've gone over the transfer limit and ask you to take a look at why. If it's a case that you need more bandwidth on a regular basis, the email asks you to upgrade. If it was a one off we ask you to keep an eye on it in the future but take no further action. If you don't upgrade, and the usage stays high, you will get additional warning emails. If we're sending these out to the same customers on a frequent basis you can expect us to contact you in person to discuss this further. Ultimately if you won't work with us to solve the issue we reserve the right to take further action in terms of closing your site or other measures to reduce whatever is driving the traffic. That's an extreme measure though and I wouldn't expect it to come to that often...
Hope that answers your question.
Ian
chrisro

Sorry. This isn't true. I called up my website the other day, and found it had been suspended. There was an embarrassing message for all the world to see that I had exceeded my bandwidth. I was informed that this had been done by email, but had no prior warning whatsoever.
I contacted Plusnet, and they told me that this was the policy and they couldn't change it.
It seems clear then, that at present any malicious individual that wants your website off air, can easily achieve it, by downloading until the limit is reached.
I have never been over before, or if I have, I have never been warned.
Until this week I have raved about Plusnet's service.
Now I have no confidence that my site will be available tomorrow.  Sad
chrisro

.... at least it isn't true in my case. You might have better fortune!
I will repeat, however, that I have never received any warnings or been in any kind of dialogue with Plusnet over my bandwidth before they suspended my site for exceeding allocation (by 52mb I believe).
chrisro

... in fact Plusnet were suprised how little bandwidth had been used on a daily basis until this one off spike.
Ianwild
Grafter

Chrisro  - Are you talking about the PAYH platform here?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is your site hosted on the new PAYH host platform or the old homepages or ccgi servers? What you've described is what happens on the old servers which prompted the original question by inspiration3 - Ian's reply above describes the procedures on the new PAYH server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mal0z
Grafter

Read the title of the thread guys - it  says PAYH  Smiley Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I did, but I suspect that chrisro may not have been aware of the PAYH platform and that it is totally different to the homepages and ccgi platforms with totally different policies.
chrisro: If that is the case you may find reading http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69283.0.html useful.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)