Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Transferring a domain in

SoulBriski
Grafter

[PAYH] Transferring a domain in

Hi
If my question is not very clear then I'm sorry but it's because i dont know how to ask it.
We have an existing .com domain and I'm currently waiting for the registrar to change the name servers to those of PAYH but they don't want to play. That aside, what will happen to the email serving of the domain?
If and when they do relinquish control to PAYH and I transfer the domain in to my account, what will i need to do to ensure that everyone still gets their emails?
Any help would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
SoulBriski
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] Transferring a domain in

The people at netbenefit.com still haven't changed the name servers and obvioulsy don't intend to.
I've emailed them, rang them, filled in online 'ring back' forms but nothing Angry
Does anybody know how I can force this?
Ianwild
Grafter

What type of domain is it again? (.uk .com etc)
Ian
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A clue:
Quote from: SoulBriski
We have an existing .com domain
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

Meh - sorry. I knew I'd seen the answer but for some reason my eyes passed it over when I was reading the post.
Anyway, in short these are the hardest to sort, but it depends on who the registrar is. PM me the domain name (or post it here if it's not too precious) and lets see if I can be slightly more useful in the next reply I make  Embarrassed
Ian
SoulBriski
Grafter

Hi Ian
The domain is ccg-ltd.com
I've actually spoken to Netbenefit now and they are at least going to give me access to the account becuase i have written to them on company letter headed paper and requested a change of registrant.
Still need the original question about the mail answering though if you can Smiley
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi

Thats good to hear Cheesy

As you are on a PAYH account the email service will be dealt with by PAYH, you can set this up prior to the name servers being changed if you wish, so that the email service is ready to go when dns updates.
To do this, you will need to log in to My Account, and from there you will be able to add your domain.
Let me know if you need anything else.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Thanks Kev
I've not got this PAYH account yet 'cos this is for my employers business not my own personal one. We are both PN customers but so far i have only joined PAYH personally.
So before anything else i would have to open a PAYH account for my employers business.
Once I'd done that, i would have to add the domain (ccg-ltd.com) which means the dns had already been done so there would be some considerable downtime for emails.
Have i understood this correctly?
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Once the name servers have been updated, then you need to give 24 hours for the domain to be repointed, this is often all working before the 24 hours, but then it will depend on how long it takes for the domain to be added.
If it is added before then, there should be no downtime, but if you add it after, it depends how quick it is added.
Hope thats clear
SoulBriski
Grafter

Forgive me for being thick but I am when it comes to hosting Embarrassed
Firstly I will open a PAYH account for my employers business.
I can't add the new domain until they agree to change the name servers but if and when they do change them i wont know anything about it.
If Netbenefit comply with my request to make me the new registrant of the ccg-ltd.com domain, that means i can add the domain to the new PAYH account.
If i do that without them changing the name servers, i don't understand what will happen to the mail because the domain will now be hosted by PAYH but the sever names will be those of NetBenefit
I'm confused Sad
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Whilst the name servers are with Netbenefit they will be looking after all hosting aspects of your domain, meaning the site and emails.
Once the name servers have been changed, they will point towards PAYH, which we will then start looking after those aspects.
You can add the domain, before the name servers are changed, although it will not work until the name servers are repointed, but as the propagation goes through, if you have set your email addresses up then we will be able to start collecting the emails for you.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Thats where i was getting confused. I thought i could only transfer the domain in if the name servers had been changed!
That makes more sense now.
Thank you