cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Transfering domain

markheath
Grafter

[PAYH] Transfering domain

I have set up my new PAYH webspace and am considering moving my domain across to point at it.
my current domain is set up to point at the ccgi webspace as follows in the plusnet control panel:
Left fieldTypePriRight field
mydomainname.co.uk.a84.92.1.4
mx20mx.last.plus.net.
wwwcnameccgi.myusername.plus.com.

I have a few questions/concerns before I take the plunge:
1. Is the best way to just raise a support ticket with PlusNet? Obviously I want my domain name to point at my new webspace asap with minimal down-time. Will there be additional configuration required within the plesk control panel afterwards, or is this included in what PlusNet support will do for me?
2. Do my email forwardings remain the same (set up on the old plusnet control panel) during this process?
3. As others have pointed out, the new bandwidth allowance is very stingy compared to the 7.8GB per month of the old platform. I use on average just under 1.5GB a month so I should just about manage, but what will happen if I go over? I seem to remember a very draconian one strike and you are out policy on the old CCGI platform.
thanks
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
xpcomputers
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] Transfering domain

re: Q3....
Fortunately the new system is far less draconian....
Firstly, the old limits were daily, which meant a sudden (smallish) increase in traffic one day, could easily tip a website over the edge into being archived.
The new limits are monthly, so you don't need as big a buffer to cope with daily peaks.
What this means is that websites with widely varying traffic levels will be similar or better off on the new limits. Websites with a very steady consistent traffic levels per day, will get less on the new setup. Fortunately, the less draconian  measures will mean bursting the limit is much less serious now anyway. No automatic archiving happens no. Instead, if you go over the limit regularly, then Plusnet will manually contact you to help you resolve any problems, or see if you need a bigger package.  It would only become a problem if you regularly burst it, and also refused to work with Plusnet. This would likely to be a matter of months later than the first infringement anyway, so a much looser definition of bursting is being used.
I'm sure with your predicted usage you'd be fine on the new platform...
We might yet find that Plusnet increase the included data allowances on the final release of the platform... this is just a preview of the final platform (albeit fine for using in a final website).
Mike
markheath
Grafter

Well I've migrated my site, which went quite smoothly in the end. To make things more difficult for myself I also switched blogging platforms from Serendipity to Wordpress. There is a nice redirection plugin for WordPress which means I have been able to keep my old links intact without needing to modify htaccess.
Good points compared to the old CCGI platform:

• Plesk control panel is good

• FTP access to my site without needing to be connected via plusnet - brilliant!

• Updated PHP etc

Now my only concern is bandwidth. I really think I'm going to struggle, even though my blog isn't particularly popular and I host all my images offsite. I'm really hoping that plusnet increase the bandwidth allowances for both the free and the paid options when they go live with this or I could be forced to migrate again.
Mark
Tony_W
Grafter

Quote from: markheath

Left fieldTypePriRight field
mydomainname.co.uk.a84.92.1.4
mx20mx.last.plus.net.
wwwcnameccgi.myusername.plus.com.

Can anyone tell me how to point a domain to the new platform? I have tried doing a site search using Google to search for "Right field" PAYH site:plus.net but only turned up references for ccgi and not the PAYH platform.
If I have missed any obvious information, I appologize, but there does not appear to be a mention of it in the FAQs except for "you've asked in a ticket for your domain name to be transferred over to the preview account" . Is that the only way - rather than where it is currently set (see table in the quote) with ccgi-hosted sites?
I too am gathering information before I take the plunge.
Tony
markheath
Grafter

I think that raising a ticket is probably best because just updating the "right field" for your domain name may not actually make the domain name show up in your Plesk control panel. It might be possible to add the domain in Plesk yourself if you can find instructions elsewhere on line.
To find out the IP address to use for your right field you could try pinging yourusername.plushost.co.uk
Tech support also added an ftp cname entry for me, pointing to mydomainname.co.uk.
Mark
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks Mark,
The trouble with raising a ticket is that I have no immediate control. If it does not operate correctly and breaks my websites (my Homepages site uses PHP on the domain site for navigation), it could take hours/days to get it pointing back to ccgi and working again.
As a business user, that could mean lost orders.
If I could change the right field entries then I could control it in real time while I iron out any problems.
Tony