cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Safe Mode ON and OFF, www-data, Joomla restore and so on...

andywarren
Dabbler

Re: [PAYH] Safe Mode ON and OFF, www-data, Joomla restore and so on...

Thanks I'd already seen that link and I think I can get Joomla to work, I just need to get the old cache files either removed or the permissions changed. My real problem is my Gallery2 site - I can't see any way to get that working with safe mode on - any ideas?
Thanks
Andy
glyndev
Grafter

I'm also having a couple of problems with  Drupal because of this, i.e. it is not possible to add and install modules directly from the Drupal site. They have to be downloaded to your local machine first and security updates can't be auto installed as they become available .
It also means that several of the applications in the pre loaded repository will not install because safe mode 'on', Drupal and Joomla are 2 cases in point.
perry
Dabbler

andywarren - I think there is a file manager within the PAYH/Plesk control panel. I am assuming that this runs under the apache account (ie www-data). This should allow access to those files.
Alternatively there is a php product called phpfm (or something like that = php file manager). It is a single php script that does file management stuff and can probably at least delete your files and directories. It can also do chmod. But you cannot do chown as you need to be root for that.
I too have also got in rather a mess with the recent security changes. There may be some work arounds but still not ideal for smooth management of the sites.
MarkA

Having tried hard to work around the various problems with this setup, I've given up and moved to a paid hosting solution that just works without any of the pain. I'll happily move back to Plusnet hosting when it becomes a usable platform, something that PAYH simply isn't.
perry
Dabbler

I tend to agree to some extent. I have some sites that I support and that run using Joomla! These have significantly suffered due to recently changes in the PAYH configuration. Although my sites now seem to be working due to some input from PAYH tech support, I am not completely comfortable and have not fully tested them.
PAYH need to recognise that these tools or even home made scripts are becoming more popular. In fact they offer them as standard applications with the Plesk package. So more people will have problems. Maybe they have had and just moved off elsewhere with comment.
The security and paramoia must not be at the expense ease of use and consequently loss of customers.
I was really annoyed at the attitude that one of my sites is a "free" PAYH hosting as part of Plus Net broadband service and they refused to help - just referring to this bulletin board. Fortunately I got the support via another site that is "paid".
I have recommended many customers over the years but am now not doing so, until my confidence is restored.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: perry
I was really annoyed at the attitude that one of my sites is a "free" PAYH hosting as part of Plus Net broadband service and they refused to help - just referring to this bulletin board. Fortunately I got the support via another site that is "paid".

I'm 99% certain that when this trial was announced - it was clearly stated that support would only be available via this Community Forum
Kev Mawson of PN / PATH support - in my experience has been very very helpful at sorting out problems, giving advice etc.
perry
Dabbler

Yes, you are quite correct that Kevin has been extremely helpful in sorting out some problems and we do thank him for that
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I'm 99% certain that when this trial was announced - it was clearly stated that support would only be available via this Community Forum

Unless you go for the £2.50p paid option (£5.00p business) where support is available via ticket and phone.
paxy
Grafter

I have some php scripts that are returning a similar error:
Warning: set_time_limit() [function.set-time-limit]: Cannot set time limit in safe mode
Is there anything I can do - the scripts are working fine on ccgi platform?
Thanks, Paxy
Gabe
Grafter

Various places suggest hacky fixes.
e.g. http://gallery.menalto.com/node/80966
I don't know how successful they are.
Gabe
paxy
Grafter

Gabe - Many thanks for your post and the link - it provides an interesting read.
Plusnet Support - I am a little stuck though as the scripts are generated by my web building software and I have no direct opportunity to change them.  I really don't want to try and start editing some of the files - that is what I bought the web generator software for.
I am hopeful that as this is a beta trial plusnet will take note that PAYH doesn't work as it stands for basic things which are currently working on CCGI.
Currently the trial ends for me here until this can be resolved.   Angry
paulcobb
Grafter

As with one of the other contributors I have a gallery 2 site that I wanted to migrate to PAYH - but that has been knocked on the head since safe mode has reverted to on.
There is no way this will run with PHP in this condition.
Comments please from PN.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Kev
Hi
There are no immediate plans to change this back, as we need to ensure that the platform remains secure. If we do find away to get round this in the future we will then have this looked in to.

Out of the websites that were brought to our attention, that were experiencing problems they have now been resolved and are working.

While many of the Joomla sites on PAYH are working they are not working as they should according to Joomla. There are components that don't function 100% there are permissions issues and the ftp in joomla doesn't function correctly. While you have been very helpful in getting many website working for me it is incorrect to say that Joomla is entirely compatible with PAYH plesk or more correctly the other way round. I appreciate that security is paramount but there is an issue with the php safe mode.  and session save paths files unwritable in Joomla that should be. Until they are fixed there will be issues with Joomla but then we're used to that, there always have been ... cgi, ccgi, php4 etc etc. Cry
paxy
Grafter

Hi since posting my problem with php safe mode on 30th Dec I have been unable to get the scripts to work.  One other forum user has given me a link earlier in the thread but I have had no help from support.
Am I right in thinking this is the only channel for support and I must wait until support come this way and make comment?
Please help support, I would like to get my website working but am stuck with cgi platform until this issue is addressed!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: paxy
Hi since posting my problem with php safe mode on 30th Dec I have been unable to get the scripts to work.  One other forum user has given me a link earlier in the thread but I have had no help from support.
Am I right in thinking this is the only channel for support and I must wait until support come this way and make comment?
Please help support, I would like to get my website working but am stuck with cgi platform until this issue is addressed!

I think Kev Mawson is the main man on the plesk trial (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) and even he has to have some time off. In his defence he has been very helpful to me, even logging in from home  Crazy so be patient, I know it can be frustrating but there's only so many hours in the day.
I too have some strange issues when trying to install Joomla but I succeeded with one this morning after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. toggling the php support seemed to be the culprit and solution this time but the site is up and running but with some of the previously mentioned issues. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again and again and again.........