cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Safe Mode ON and OFF, www-data, Joomla restore and so on...

scubarew
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] Safe Mode ON and OFF, www-data, Joomla restore and so on...

I did have some trouble with specific files being unwritable, but i used a crontab task to CHMOD everything in the offending directories to 777 and that sorted it.
perry
Dabbler

Have chmod to 777 and still have problems that must be related to the safe mode on problems.
All the Joomla Doc recommends safe mode off. Even the PAYH feature to install Joomla as a site application specifies safe mode off.
Various PHP documentation sates the safe mode off is a poor excuse for managing security properly and the feature actuall disappears in PHP v 6.
I am going to dump payh and plus net after many years from originally Metronet and having recommended many people.
andywarren
Dabbler

Hi,
Can anyone at plus net give us a time scale as to when/if safe mode php is likely to be configurable again? I've got two domains hosted here and I will need to move them unless this is addresses reasonable quickly.
Thanks
Andy.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
There are no immediate plans to change this back, as we need to ensure that the platform remains secure. If we do find away to get round this in the future we will then have this looked in to.

Out of the websites that were brought to our attention, that were experiencing problems they have now been resolved and are working.
perry
Dabbler

I have two sites that I directly manage (and knowledge of some others).
I have not resolved the problem and getting quite desparate.
I have been recommended to use the FTP feature within Joomla. This does not resolve it as the original files and directories were created by the user account FTP and php safe mode won't write to them.
Even phpfm has the same problem.
I am in the process of finding a new hosting service and am really quite upset about this.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
If you pm me the details, and set a user name and password up for me and let me know them, ill take a look for you
Cheesy
TMGanywhere

PAYH helpdesk pointed me in the direction of this forum...
I've got a ccgi site on my PlusNet webspace which works great. I've transferred a lot of it to PAYH with no problem. However, there is one page that I've tried to move and it dies... this is the error message I get:
<BR>INSERT INTO history (ID, EVDATE, EVTIME, MESSAGE) VALUES ('SOURCE=1', '08/12/15', '20:39:17', 'Test')<br />
<b>Warning</b>: curl_setopt() [<a href='function.curl-setopt'>function.curl-setopt</a>]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when in safe_mode or an open_basedir is set in <b>/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/subfolder/SubFolderFormPostUtilities.php</b> on line <b>48</b><br />
Anyone got any comments please?
Gabe
Grafter

CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION is disabled when open_basedir is set, because it's a potential security risk.
There is a partial workaround (see user contributed notes in PHP manual curl_setopt) - not suitable for what I need it for, unfortunately.
This is one of the main reasons I'm going to have to find alternative hosting.
Quote from: Kev
There are no immediate plans to change this back, as we need to ensure that the platform remains secure. If we do find away to get round this in the future we will then have this looked in to.

Does this mean waiting for Plesk 9?
Gabe
TMGanywhere

I'm *very* new to php, and using a script provided by another company to achieve integration with their services. This worker perfectly as I say on ccgi...
what is open_basedir and can I not just "un-set it" or something?Huh
Will try ot find the other post sometime - too late in the day to be starting this now! 🙂
Gabe
Grafter

open_basedir stops us all writing to each other's directories when PHP is set up like it is on PAYH. Users can't unset it.
It might be that your borrowed script will work without the followlocation, so it might be worth trying with that line commented out.
Gabe
Gabe
Grafter

Just to expand on the Plesk 9 comment:
Plesk Panel, Version 9.0
New features
"9. PHP over Fast CGI – Site applications based on PHP can be executed much faster and safer
with PHP running in the Fast CGI mode. This feature was previously available only in the Windows
version."
This would solve most of the problems mentioned in this thread, allowing PHP to be run without safe mode or open_basedir, and none of those pesky www-data ownership problems. If Plusnet could tell us that they won't turn off the ccgi platform before they've upgraded to Plesk 9 on PAYH, that would be a great help.
Gabe
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
When Parallels release new control panels and major updates such as the update to Plesk 9, we will always wait until they have released a few versions, so that any bugs that have been raised after the update are fixed for when we are ready to do the upgrade.
This means that there is less chance to cause issues for the current users on the service and helps to keep the service problem free.
If we were to take every update that they did, we would then become beta testers for them, and this is opening us up to any bugs that do get released.
I can confirm that we will do the upgrade in the future, but at present there are no plans to do this immediately.
Gabe
Grafter

Hi Kev,
I quite appreciate  why you don't just jump in with both feet. The early bird gets the bugs.
What I'm asking is, would you be prepared to keep the ccgi platform running until you do update? It would solve an awful lot of customer migration problems.
Gabe
andywarren
Dabbler

Hi,
Can anyone at plus net help me get the permissions fixed on my Joomla site? They're stuck with www-data and I can't delete them now. A more pressing problem for me right now is getting my gallery2 site working - it's been down ever since php safe mode has been switched on. Is the only way to get this to work to switch back to the old ccgi server?
Thanks
Andy
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Please take a look at the link below:
http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1941/302/1/2/