Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Point to my domain

SoulBriski
Grafter

[PAYH] Point to my domain

Hi
My new website is ready and waiting on the PAYH platform. How do i point my domain to it or it at my domain?
my live site is at www.mydomain.co.uk
my new one is at www.username.plushost.co.uk
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
glyndev
Grafter

Re: [PAYH] Point to my domain

If you have created your site already then DO NOT transfer the domain accross to the plesk server. If you do you will have to download the site from username.plushost.co.uk and then have to re-upload it to the space defined for www.domain.co.uk and then have to set the domain useage limits for that domain.
Instead follow the guide below.

1)  SET UP A DOMAIN ALIAS....
In the plesk control panel select "Domain > Domain Alias > Add Domain Alias >".
Enter the 'Domain alias name'. e.g. birdwellfirstresponders.org.uk (This is my domain. it does exist). DO NOT put 'www.' or anything else before the domain name. Click 'OK' plesk will set up all the domain records that you need. 

2)  On the +net portal select 'Domain names' from the left hand column.
Select 'CONFIGURE' for the domain you wish to point to your Drupal site on the plesk server.
In the 'Domain Hosting Settings' section make sure that you have selected 'Other'.
In the 'Additional DNS records' section select 'CONFIGURE DNS SETTINGS'.
In the'Create a new DNS record for' section enter details as shown below.
LEFT_FIELD_____TYPE_____RIGHT_FIELD
domainname.com.____A_______212.56.83.230
Dont forget the trailing '.' in the left field.
The right field should contain the IP address of the plesk server (check what yours is via the DNS section of the plesk control panel)
Click 'ADD'
You will be returned to the previous page.

3)  In the'Create a new DNS record for' section enter details as shown below.
LEFT FIELD___ TYPE____ RIGHT FIELD
www._________ cname____domainname.com.
Dont forget the trailing '.' in both fields.
Click 'ADD'
You will be returned to the previous page.

4)  Again in the 'Additional DNS records' section select 'CONFIGURE DNS SETTINGS'.
Click the 'REMOVE' button next to the OLD 'www' record.
You will again be returned to the previous page.
Click 'SUBMIT' at the bottom of the page.
Wait until DNS has propogated (Up to 24 hours) you will then be able to access your new site via 'http://www.domainname.co.uk and also http://domainname.co.uk .
Hope this helps
SoulBriski
Grafter

Thanks for your help Devonports
I hve already got the alias in place (jnmbc.co.uk) so it's just the DNS config now isn't it?
I'll work my way through the rest of it later
Thanks again for your help
Edit: just had a thought
Step 4. If I remove the old www record which is currently pointing to the ccgi platform, will that kill my current site instantly or will it simulteaneously stop pointing to ccgi and point to the new PAYH when propogation is complete.
In other words, will there be any downtime?
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: SoulBriski
Edit: just had a thought
Step 4. If I remove the old www record which is currently pointing to the ccgi platform, will that kill my current site instantly or will it simulteaneously stop pointing to ccgi and point to the new PAYH when propogation is complete.
In other words, will there be any downtime?

I doubt that there will be. But during the propogation process until DNS is updated worldwide some people will see the old site and others the new site.
To ensure that people see the new site from the outset, you could simply put a redirect on the old website to point to the new site.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Got a problem!!!!!
I've done all the DNS config but there is a complication which is going to be difficult to explain.
When I created my PAYH trial account, Kev Mawson helped me. He sent me this private message
Hi
I can see that you have requested the new account, if you want I can add the domain as the main domain and the preview domain as an alias, so that you can ensure the site is working correcly before changing the dns.
Once you are happy with the preview, then you can just give me a nudge to repoint the dns if you wish?

He created mydomain.co.uk and the alias MyUserName.plushost.co.uk
Prior to any of this, i had a another PAYH trial account which i hosted a completely different domain on whilst testing and learning. I put just a simple holding page up there whilst i worked on it. That hosting expired in november but i cant get rid of the account and it is this holding page that is now being displayed instead of my live website.
I've obviously got my wires crossed somewhere but i don't know where or how to put it right