cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Microsoft Access <=> MySQL database

decomplexity
Rising Star

[PAYH] Microsoft Access <=> MySQL database

Does anyone use ODBC to link tables between a PN MySQL database and Microsoft Access? If PN allow it (i.e. no port blocks or other security restrictions), what are the pitfalls to avoid please? I assume a MySQL ODBC driver may need loading on the client PCs unless MSoft now include it by default.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
3 REPLIES 3
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: [PAYH] Microsoft Access <=> MySQL database

It will work on humbug/rumpus, but will NOT work on the PAYH platform as port 3306 is firewalled off.
Other than that - you will need to ensure that the ODBC driver is installed, and a System or User DSN is created (can be done via a registry entry), then the Access database should work fine.
B.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Thanks for the warning Barry.
Was  this port restriction documented anywhere pls - and is this block on ODBC using 3306 (I thought Preview PAYH's standard port was 3306!)?
Bang ..  bang ..  limp [sound of shooting myself in the foot]: having recently moved all my PHP stuff to Preview PAYH in line with PN's warning that Humbug and Rumpus CGI will be pensioned off within the next couple of months, I am now thoroughly stuffed unless an alternative (open) port can be used. 
Anyone have alternative suggestions pls?   
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It has been suggested that this port could be opened to Plusnet IPs only.
Plusnet have refused because by giving it to Plusnet IPs you would be taking something away from the paying PAYH punters - something that they've never had in the first place.
Read this topic http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73179.0.html
Go figure!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)