Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(PAYH) Joomla SafeMode

rekabuk
Dabbler

(PAYH) Joomla SafeMode

Hi All,
I've been trawling these forums all weekend with no success  Sad
Does anyone know PN's short/long term plans for php safe_mode?
I am trying to install some Joomla 1.5.7 components (namely CB 1-2-0), but they generate errors related to different UIDs and safe_mode. and fail to install.
Form what I've read,  safe_mode is ON and will stay on and basically that's then end for Joomla..????Huh
Regards
Andrew
10 REPLIES 10
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Re: (PAYH) Joomla SafeMode

Hi
We are still investigating ways to get around this and we are currently investigating an option that would resolve the safe mode issue.
With regards to Joomla, if you install the latest version and set it to FTP in the settings then you will not have any issues.
rekabuk
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Kev,
I have installed Joomla 1.5.9 and entered the FTP settings in Global Configuration (is that where you meant?) but I still get an error when trying to install the Community Builder 1-2-0 component
Warning: file_put_contents() [function.file-put-contents]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 10255 is not allowed to access /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/tmp/install_49a277fd8851f owned by uid 33 in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 297
Warning: file_put_contents(/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/tmp/install_49a277fd8851f/Snoopy.class.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.co.uk/httpdocs/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 297
How does enabling FTP help?
Regards
Andrew
Oleo
Grafter

You could try setting safe mode off using .htaccess
php_value safe_mode = Off
I haven't tried this with PAYH. If it doesn't work you might have to use a hosting company that accommodates you requirements. My own recommendation is www.tsohost.co.uk
rekabuk
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Oleo,
If you trawl through the forums, you'll see it's not that simple 😞
I have seen an email from Kev saying "all Joomla issues are sorted", or something like that, just wish I could find it now, cos mine aren't.... yet.
I have also tried Gabe's cgi wrapper fix, but that didn't work for me.

It does look as if a different host may be the only way out 😞
Regards
Andrew
Oleo
Grafter

Sorry that solution doesn't work. When I get some free time, I might be able to see if there is a work around.  As a general rule ISPs are not very good with web hosting. I do feel that +net are better than some I've seen, but it seems to fall short with CMSs which are becoming more and more popular with the the hobby web masters, so much so, the basic stuff that ISPs supply are fast running out of puff.
Oleo
Grafter

If anyone wants to try using .htaccess to switch safe mode on/off there is a fast way to check if its working:
create a file in your htdocs folder: test.php set perms to 777. in the file put this line: <?php phpinfo() ?> When you run the script from your web browser you should see a full status page of the apache config etc.
I can get register_globals to switch on and off, but not safe mode. I've tried all of the normal stuff. Maybe I'm missing something.
More digging required, but I think its zonked until plusnet do something.
rekabuk
Dabbler

Hi Kev
I ftp'd my install zip file to the Joomla tmp directory and unzipped it to a new directory using cron. I then went to the install section of Joomla's back-end and tried to install the component from this directory...... I believe this is what you suggested I tried???
Well it fell over cos it couldn't create a directory ".......components/com_comprofiler" so I chmoded ".....components" to 777, then it failed because it couldn't create  ".......components/com_comprofiler/views" !!!  but then deleted  ".......components/com_comprofiler"  so I couldn't chmod that.
Next idea?
Andrew
😞
rekabuk
Dabbler

Hi Kev,
I have enabled FTP and set the ftp-root in my configuration.php file. I FTP'd my component to the tmp directory, and unzipped it. I then tried to install the component from this directory but now get....
        * JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
        * JFTP::chmod: Bad response
        * Component Install: Failed to create directory.: "/var/www/vhosts/westonzoylandcc.co.uk/httpdocs/components/com_comprofiler"
What can I try next?
Andrew
rekabuk
Dabbler

Finally gave up and moved my site to another host..... 😞
gollum
Grafter

I too have become frustrated with the Safe mode issues on PAYH and am looking for an alternative hosting provider.
If you don't mind me asking, who did you choose and what has been your experience?