cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PAYH] Database for Wordpress

p_w_d_stone
Grafter

[PAYH] Database for Wordpress

I'm playing around with Wordpress MU on the PAYH trial platform and I'm unable to connect to the database using either plesk-db01.plus.net:3306 or plesk-db01.plus.net as the database name - I'm sure I remember solving this before with a previous installation of Wordpress on the platfrom but it's late and I'm really struggling to remember now.
The credentials have been checked and triple checked, these are correct. Localhost doesn't work.
Can anyone elighten me with the correct database address for the PAYH platform?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: [PAYH] Database for Wordpress

For SQL access the plesk-db01 name is the host name. The database name is whatever you called your database, e.g. username_xxx . Does Wordpress use different terminology?
David
BestPump
Grafter

Hi All,
I'm trying to manually install Wordpress but having trouble connecting to the database.
I have checked and checked and checked the permissions, db name, user name, password and have tried "plesk-db01 " for the db hostname but I keep getting the following error message:
Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.
Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

It's driving me nuts now - please help!!!
Ta,
Jeff
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The database hostname is plesk-db01.plus.net:3306 - the point in my previous post addressed to the original poster is that this string is the hostname and not the database name, the wording used in the original post.
For the remaining information
database name is the name given to the database when it was created, usually a name like username_db where username in this instance is the hosting account username which is used for logging into the Plesk Control Panel. If you omitted the db bit I suggest deleting that database and recreating it with db present. I have a suspicion that this could cause the difficulties you mention. I would appreciate feedback on whether my suspicion is correct.
username is whatever database_username was assigned when the database was created (which is not necessarily the same as your hosting account username).
password is whatever password was assigned for that database_username.
Hope this helps.
David
David
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Although the wording in the post was poorly chosen I was using the correct database name, username and the hostname as cited.
I never resolved the connectivity issues, and finding PAYH uncompetitive, simply moved to 1&1 hosting who I am extremely happy with.
Where I cited database name in the original post I did in fact mean database host name. The lateness of the hour no doubt contributed to this error.
Apologies for any confusion.
Oleo
Grafter

I found two ways to install word press and solve how the dbase works.
1. To install as a standalone, ie upload the word press files to your web space etc.
You need to create your own dbase, username and password first. Then, during the word press install, you need to tell it the path to the dbase, the name of the dbase, dbase username and password.
2. Install as a web app from within plesk. DO NOT CREATE A DATA BASE. The trial platform only permits one dbase, the install will create a dbase by default. If there is an existing dbase, the install will fail. During the install the dbase path is automatically set and hidden from view. Dbase name and username is automatically generated, but you can over ride and specify your own. lastly you need to specify the dbase username password.

Hope this helps  Smiley
John