Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering FTTP (full fibre/ultrafast)?

GJenkins
Grafter

Ordering FTTP (full fibre/ultrafast)?

Hello!

My area has recently been cabled with full fibre thank to some intensive work by openreach. Some streets are already activated with the most recent ones still waiting. I'm looking to change to a full fibre product as soon as it becomes available. My current contract ends in October anyway, but I would like to stay with Plusnet if possible. Are there plans in action to allow plusnet to embrace this technology - I'm seeing nothing mentioned on the main site? Thank you

12 REPLIES 12
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Ordering FTTP (full fibre/ultrafast)?

Plusnet don't offer any "Ultrafast"products and their stock answer to any future plans is usually they have nothing to share.

So you will have to switch provider to take advantage of full fibre

GJenkins
Grafter

Thanks for the reply @DaveyH . I feared as much, such a shame really! Even though plusnet have been great over the years, the internet in general isn't that great in my immediate area and it does feel a little old fashioned.

I'm dreading switching to another provider, but technology keeps getting better. Pity plusnet can't keep up =(

DaveyH
Champion

They did run an Full Fibre Trial for a number of years, though that ended/closed to new sign ups some time ago and never became a commercial product

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@GJenkins 

PlusNet do not have a commercial FTTP product on offer so you'll need to consider other ISP's.

The following is a list of possible providers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/consumer-isp-choices-on-openreachs-uk-fttp-broadband-n...

Note that Sky are apparently launching FTTP before the end of the year And Spectrum I believe are now offering UK wide,

Brian

GJenkins
Grafter

@DaveyH Yes I saw that too! It makes things seem even more peculiar how nothing has materialised =(

GJenkins
Grafter

@bmc Thank you! Actually my friend on the neighbouring street is already on a FTTP package with Sky, coming in at around 120 down and 25 up, there is an option to closer to 300 coming later this year but we don't have prices on that. I would assume it not to be cheap!

bmc
Hero

@GJenkins 

Are you sure he's not on g.Fast? As far as I know Sky have never offered an FTTP package.

Have a look for Sky g.Fast pricing (I think on ISPReview) - that should give an idea of FTTP prices. I seem to recall the Sky site will on quote ultrafast prices if a service is available in your area.

Brian

GJenkins
Grafter

@bmc I believe it is fttp, theres fibre going to the house plus equipment installed inside. I'll double check though!!

I do believe it was something to do with the welsh gov superfast website which he ordered it through. I'll find out when I pop around next week 😃

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@GJenkins wrote:

I'm dreading switching to another provider, but technology keeps getting better. Pity plusnet can't keep up =(

I suspect that it's not a case of Plusnet 'can't keep up' but a case of their master's BT plc not allowing them to offer this service at the moment as it's likely that they will capture these customers into their more expensive BTRetail fold.

No doubt when more budget providers start offering cheaper FTTP Plusnet will be allowed to enter the market.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DaveyH
Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@GJenkins wrote:

I suspect that it's not a case of Plusnet 'can't keep up' but a case of their master's BT plc not allowing them to offer this service at the moment as it's likely that they will capture these customers into their more expensive BTRetail fold.

I'm not convinced when EE sell and undercut BTRetail considerably on G.fast.

bmc
Hero

@GJenkins 

It takes time and effort to set up a FTTP product. All the ISP systems need to be modified and staff trained up. The Trial that PlusNet ran was "off" books so to speak with few staff knowing anything about it. Look at Sky - they've been prepping FTTP now for over a year.

It is also only recently that FTTP network installs have been ramped up to make FTTP a product worth offering with the investment required.

The Sky g.Fast pricing page I mentioned is at

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/isp-sky-broadband-leak-shows-uk-pricing-for-new-ultraf...

I would guess FTTP prices would be similar to g.Fast

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'