Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach to start switching off FTTC in FTTP areas

TheJayBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Openreach to start switching off FTTC in FTTP areas

Today Ofcom confirmed that Openreach will be allowed to turn off copper-based networks in areas where faster full-fibre internet connections to properties have already been deployed.  This should help reduce its costs by removing the need to maintain two different systems in parallel.

PlusNet either have to offer FTTP or they will lose customers because Openreach has switched off their means of supplying an internet connection.

Is this the beginning of the end for PlusNet?

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Openreach to start switching off FTTC in FTTP areas

@TheJayBee A reliable source would be good.

What service BT Retail decide to offer under the Plusnet banner will be up to them.

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I am sure that PN will provide FTTP in the future but the big issue is that there will ultimately be no cap on price.

More info HERE

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/rollout-full-fibre-broadband

Closing the copper network

As it lays new fibre to replace ageing copper lines, Openreach shouldn’t have the unnecessary costs of running two parallel networks. So, when Openreach has rolled out full fibre in a particular area, we will progressively remove regulation on its copper products over a number of years.

So I'm pretty sure I'll be on Copper for the foreseeable future as my exchange is not in the list for full fibre upgrading.