Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One website won't load.

FIXED
kac11
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

One website won't load.

I've seen a topic two weeks ago about this, but the fix hasn't helped me.

I haven't been able to connect to www.valuedopinions.co.uk for the past week using broadband on any of my desktop/laptop/mobile, although I can connect on my mobile using 4G. The hundreds of other websites I use are all fine. I've tried resetting the IP address (via ipconfig /renew). I've tried Firefox and Chrome browsers. It can't be the McAfee software as I don't have that on my mobile. Any other suggestions please ? The website concerned are looking into it, a few other users have the same problem, but not many. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: One website won't load.

The site loads for me but I am using Google's DNS.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Rockin

Had the same issue on and off for a few weeks.  I find if my IP is on the 146 range its a no go, resetting to get anything else its fine.

kac11
Dabbler

Thanks for replies. I'm on a 143 IP number at the moment. I'll try switching everything off for a while.

kac11
Dabbler

Fix

OK, that seems to have solved the problem. Leaving the router switched off for an hour has done the trick. I am now connected via a 51.9 IP number and that works fine. Something else I have learned to do. Thanks for the help.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Their Help information says your IP has to be from the required region which is the UK. This implies they will be using a geolocation service - could you ask them which one?

The IP ranges mentioned have been in use in the UK (only) for some time and from posts in these forums it's fair to say Plusnet have tried to get incorrect information corrected, but there appear to be some stragglers.

David
kac11
Dabbler

I'll certainly try. Takes a long time to get a reply though. Thanks.

Actually Spraxyt, that is an excellent post, I am sure you have hit the nail on the head there. Will let you know if I get a reply.

kac11
Dabbler

Afraid Valued Opinions are now ignoring me, but at least I can now get to their web site to claim what they owe me.

It seems to be a problem that is occuring for quite a few people on a multitude of websites, and I would never have solved this without help from other consumers. Maybe Plusnet ought to look into solving this problem, which will be way above most peoples knowledge. Thanks Spraxyt.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

@kac11 As I have explained in another thread, It is not Plusnets fault, but that of the geo-location services which websites use. If these services are slow to update their records, or even fail to do so when advised, there is very little that ISPs can do.

John
kac11
Dabbler

Maybe  - don't use IP numbers from abroad

- help explain the problem to people to save them spending weeks trying to find out what the problem is.

How many consumers know anything about IP numbers and geo-location services ? We are actually paying Plusnet, so they should take some lead on this.

For instance, I've just helped an elderly lady solve this problem after seeing a desperate tweet from her. How is she possibly going to know that it is the IP number assigned to her by Plusnet that is stopping her accessing a site that owes her (and me) money. It's totally above most peoples knowledge, and not something they should have to be involved in.

jab1
Legend

@kac11 As I said, it is not the ISP that is at fault, it is the geolocation services who are at fault for not updating their records.

IP addresses are swapped between ISPs quite often, but SOME websites use tardy firms to obtain their location data.

ISPs do advise when they obtain new addresses, but if the other party fails to update, there is little they can do.

@bobpullen on here tries to resolve these problems, but he can only ask them to sort themselves out, he, nor anyone else can force them.

Reporting the problem website on this link:https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p... is the best way as it keeps all the information together.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've seen other threads with the same issue.

Website designers try to block anything outside the UK, (which is silly as they can be bypassed via VPN's I believe, or just rebooting your router to get a new IP as you have done). Trouble is with these IP location services, is that they are not always 100% accurate, so they think you're outside the UK when you're not.

If it happens again, I would PM someone like @bobpullen with the external IP you've been assigned and the site you are trying to access. Then PlusNet can go about getting the records corrected I guess.

jab1
Legend

@Alex As I said in the post above yours, Bob Pullen does reach out to these people, but it is up to them how quickly -if at all -they react,

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes @jab1 sorry if I wasn't clear - I realise what you meant. He can only request records to be fixed, but it is not able to do it himself directly and relies on a third party.