Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of two subdomains giving a 403 error

pedroc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

One of two subdomains giving a 403 error

HELP!  I have two subdomains pointing at the same ccgi server ip address:-  test.solarproject.co.uk    and    shop.solarproject.co.uk
The DNS records (>24hrs) seem to be working fine as pinging either address points at the correct IP of 91.136.8.9, (though it fails all pings, but this looks like a 'safety feature' on the server.
My problem is that whilst the test.solarproject.co.uk address finds the web page ok, anybody using the shop.solarproject.co.uk address gets a 403 Forbidden error.
I originally set this site up using the test.solarproj....  address and had a public folder .htaccess file that worked, so I duplicated the working lines of script to account for the new 'shop' subdomain, so it now reads as follows:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_Host} ^(?:shop\.solarproject\.co\.uk)?$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/cgi-bin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/catalog/
RewriteRule ^(.*) /catalog/$1 [NC,L,NS]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_Host} ^(?:test\.solarproject\.co\.uk)?$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/cgi-bin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/catalog/
RewriteRule ^(.*) /catalog/$1 [NC,L,NS]
I am stumped, I have no other operative .htaccess files above this in the tree.  Can anybody suggest why the test.solarproj  address works but the shop.solarproj throws the error?
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: One of two subdomains giving a 403 error

Quote from: pedroc
I originally set this site up using the test.solarproj....  address and had a public folder .htaccess file that worked, so I duplicated the working lines of script to account for the new 'shop' subdomain...

Quote from: pedroc
I am stumped, I have no other operative .htaccess files above this in the tree.  Can anybody suggest why the test.solarproj  address works but the shop.solarproj throws the error?

Because the Hostopia server has no knowledge of the 'shop' subdomain. I've made some changes and you should find that things are working now?
For future reference though, you will need to contact support as well as adding the A records in DNS if you ever want to point new domains/subdomains at the CGI server.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pedroc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: One of two subdomains giving a 403 error

Bob, you have worked the miracle, thank you very much.
I had not realised we needed to talk to Support before changing A records, it might be worth adding that to the Domain Name Edit screen or support notes?
I am very grateful for the speed and efficiency of your response,
Peter