cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old time gamer looking for help

baldmechanic
Grafter

Old time gamer looking for help

Hi all, thank you for letting me into your forums, I am looking for some help/support on websites, I am an avid gamer and i play world of warcraft, now in this game we have a guild which i run, and i would now like to make a website for it, so people can add comments/pictures/questions and so on, i visited a site called Wowstead.com, i set up the guild name (domain name) and then registered the name with plusnet, then returned to wowstead.com to build the site. but the problem i have is how do i connect my domain name to the page i created on wowstead, this is what wowstead say " If you're using a WowStead generated guild website (95% of users) the DNS server addresses are ns1.wowstead.com and ns2.wowstead.com. i have tried to complete this but failed, i cannot find where to tie the domain name (guild name ) with the wowstead page, any help is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Old time gamer looking for help

I'm not sure if PlusNet provide a way of changing name servers to domains registered with them.
If they do, then that's what you'd change .. wowstead would then be hosting the DNS and web space I presume.
Never used wowstead before, so not sure what it does. It sounds like though a basic set of forums will do what you want for now, which are pretty easy to set up.
That's what I did for guilds I belonged to, then gradually expanded the site from there.
Do you have any web space with PlusNet? If so it should be quite easy to set up say phpBB or any other forum software of your choice.
baldmechanic
Grafter

Thank alex for your reply, to be honest all this is new to me, turning the computer on and of and pointing at some lame murloc in swamp of sorrows and sending the warrior in for the kill is about all i can manage, we did have a fantastic little guild page where we all added the comments ,pics and photos, but it was one of our members who made it up and i think it was hosted on a german server as it ended in DE, anyway that site has gone now and i have been truing for 3-4 days now without any success, i ahve looked at numerous books , sites and so on, but wowstead.com looked the easiest (may no be the best) to set up, as there are different themes u can use and totaly wow based, so i set up the page on thier site (free) and then it asked me to get domain name, so i logged into plusnet and asked if the guildname was available, it was and i signed up for the name (free) and 20mins later i own our guild name  .co.uk, but i cannot get the site to work and i assume it is because of the problem of the DNS, and yes i think i have 100mb of free space with plusnet or maybe 250 even, but i went to wowstead because all the graphics was set out ready all i had to do was put titles to the tabs for foruns and so on. i'm not sure if this reply helped in anyway, but i'll keep looking and taking advise as it comes, and again thank you for your time to look at this query
baldmechanic
Grafter

Cry Ok finally been informed by Plusnet that this cannot be done at all, so will now have to wait for Celticdwarfs.co.uk to cease or purchase another domain name for another site, plusnet did put me onto another site tho called  http://www.guildomatic.com/meta so will look at that later, thanks all for taking time to look at my little problem.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I guess it's changing nameservers which PlusNet won't do?
However you should be able to get them to point the domain name to your webspace, and then install something like phpBB or SMF using their CGI space?
I not so familiar with PlusNet's hosting as I rent my own server.

I know of people which use forums on their PlusNet space .. I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere, so it should be straightforward to follow.
I generally tend to get forums running first, then you can say download a WoW theme, then apply that to give it a bit more of an authentic look.
I think there are various sites which host forums for you, as you have seen. Personally I'd prefer to have control of my forums (e.g. so I can back it up when I want, don't have to put up with adverts, etc).
I know it may sound like a lot but it's not difficult to set up yourself, and there are plenty of us on here to help you Smiley
baldmechanic
Grafter

Wink thanks again Alex for your help and support, I heave been talking to a few on the people on the Warcraft game, to see if they can offer some sort of help, if not then i'll look for some tutorial and like yoiu said ill make up a forum of my own, his guild site was only used for posts, so i dont think it can be that hard (hopefully)  Smiley