Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old account

JamesM
Grafter

Old account

Hi,
I have an old Free-online account going back to 1998, it has 50 Mb of web space and I have decided to build a second website utilizing this account. It is still active even though I don't use it anymore, but I set up a website yesterday and it has been over 12 hours and when I acess the website through the address bar it keeps coming up with the free-online page saying no page has been sent to this account yet. I am just wondering if this 50 Mb web space would be still active for me to use.
If so I will have to go through and check all my settings again, I am using dreamweaver with the same settings as my original web site (apart from the username and password). When I test the site it says it has connected and I have uploaded my site but I can't get it to view in IE.
Thanks for reading.
James.
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Old account

It sounds like you may not have overwritten/removed the default index.htm page to me.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Adam,
I just copied and pasted the original index file into my new web site and deleted the tables on it, I will have a look at where it is pointing to.
This is the page that comes up when I type in my web address.

http://webspace.free-online.co.uk/webspace_freeonline.html
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Bear in mind it's a *nix server and as such will prioritise index.html over index.htm (if both exist).
JamesM
Grafter

I have rebuilt it from scratch, heirarchy goes " local_sites > Product Photography > index.html.
FTP server is the same as what my website settings suggest, user name and password are the same, htdocs/ in the right place and the web URL match my account. but when I type the web address in the adress bar, It still thinks for a second then redirects to this page.
http://webspace.free-online.co.uk/webspace_freeonline.html
When I look on the remote server it is the same as my local server and I can only see one index.html. which is the same as my one.
I cannot see any other index.html so am not sure where to go to see if one needs to be over written ?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let me see if I can figure out what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

OK, I can see your custom index.html file but none of the links or images work (I'm assuming you've only uploaded the index file for now).
Try pressing ctrl+F5 together to clear your cache if you still can't get to it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JamesM
Grafter

Still no go, it is probably some simple setting that I am overlooking. Address is http://www.jimboc.free-online.co.uk.
Chris
Legend

Yep, that's the site I see. It's showing for me but the links/images don't work.
All Images are copyrighted © and are the property of James Clarke (The Photographer) and the Models
If you would like to purchase any of the images or book any of the models please contact me MJC_PI@hotmail.co.uk
New Images are added as I shoot them
Website designed and built by James Clarke
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is there a file Portraits.html in the same directory as the index file as there would need to be
Try making everything lower case as it may be case sensitive
JamesM
Grafter

http://www.wedder.free-online.co.uk
This is my first one and basically I just built it like this, I have only got the index.html page in the new website to see if I can get it working first before I alter the concept.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That jimboc link takes me to a page headed "MJC Photographic Images", so working for me. As Chris said the Gallery navigation links give "page not found".
David
JamesM
Grafter

The jimboc link takes me to an old free-online page that says "This web address has not yet had a web page uploaded to it. If this is your web space and would like to know how to start building your website, you'll find lots of help from the FreeOnline technical support section"
The wedder link takes me to my normal website
I have changed the index page to as it I will have it on the jimboc link now, can any of you see the new index page, should be dark grey with product photography as the title ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

the link has now changed to - see picture - and the links work except that after clicking the colour change makes them very difficult to see
The gallery takes me to
JamesM
Grafter

Thats strange, it looks like everybody can see my wesite apart from me  Cheesy