cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Redirect Issue

thejudge
Rising Star

Odd Redirect Issue

I have two domains hosted by +Net. My basic one at www.<username>.plus.com, and one at www.<mydomain>.me.uk.
I wanted to put a redirect from the first one (which only has an 'index.htm' page and the graphics and css sheets associated with it) to the second one.
The first domain is in the /htdocs/ folder, the second in a sub-folder of /htdocs/. The second already has an .htaccess file to prevent hotlinking.
After reading the tutorial, I made an .htaccess file which read as follows:
Redirect 301 /index.htm http://www.mydomain.me.uk/index.htm

and uploaded it to the /htdocs/ level.
I then tested it.
Firefox didn't work, giving me a message that it wasn't redirecting properly. IE7 thrashed about a bit, then came up with a 404 while showing the 'mydomain.me.uk' in the address bar.
I then changed the .htaccess file to read:
Redirect 301 /index.htm http://thejudge.me.uk/index.htm

That didn't work either: same result as before.
I then deleted the new .htaccess file completely from the server...
...and found that the redirect now did work, but only in Firefox. IE7 now showed the 'username.plus.com' page.
Trouble is, I've now changed my mind about putting a redirect in at all, but I can't get it to stop redirecting.
Can anyone figure out:
a) why the redirect didn't work in the first place
b) why it started working after I'd removed the .htaccess file which contained the redirect
c) why the redirect only works in Firefox
d) how do I get it to stop?
Yours,
Frankly Baffled
Wrexham
2 REPLIES 2
thejudge
Rising Star

Re: Odd Redirect Issue

Small update: redirect has now stopped in Firefox as well, much to my relief. Still, what happened?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Odd Redirect Issue

well I have three ways of getting my webs  Freeonline.co.uk, idps..co.uk and me.uk  and they all go to the same web and also sub programs, seems that PN do the redirect