Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No webpages have been uploaded to this address yet

Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No webpages have been uploaded to this address yet

I have uploaded a few test files to my ccgi web space. I can see they are there using the File Manager (from the Control Panel) and from an FTP client, but when I try to access the site from a web browser (as ccgi.<my_username>.plus.com) I get a page indicating that nothing has yet been uploaded. Do I need to put the files into a particular subdirectory in order for them to be served?
I feel sure this must be a FAQ but I couldn't see any mention of a similar problem anywhere.
14 REPLIES 14
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: No webpages have been uploaded to this address yet

Quote from: Boxersoft
when I try to access the site from a web browser (as ccgi.<my_username>.plus.com) I get a page indicating that nothing has yet been uploaded.

... as far as I know, all PN webspace has an initial index.html page that looks like what you describe.
This index.html page is in the "root" directory - on homepages that would be within "htdocs" - I think on ccgi it's usually the "public" directory (someone will no doubt comment if I have that wrong).  To replace the PN page with your own page you'd need to upload an index.htm page or an index.html page (I think either serves as the default page regardless of whatever else is in the directory - ie if you have neither, on homepages you would see a listing of the files in the directory, though in ccgi you'd probably get "the website declined to show this page", or similar).
If you can locate the PN index.html page, you should be able to replace it with your own index.htm or index.html page, and then link everything else from that.
... one thing though, if you use an index.htm page, you might have to physically remove the PN page as it won't be overwritten by the upload (different suffix) and from recall I *think* an index.html page will display as the default, rather than an index.htm page (no idea why this should be, but maybe the .html takes precedence, for some reason). I only use .htm for static pages so don't know if that still applies (nor where index.php would stand in order of precedence, though I'd expect an index.htm page to display in preference to index.php, eg if you have both and just call up the address ccgi. username.plus.com with no index factor specified after it).
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Boxersoft
Rising Star

Hi, and thanks for the response. I couldn't see a 'public' directory at all using the Control Panel's File Manager. I can see one using an FTP client but when I try to open it I get an 'access denied' error, although I seem to be able to copy and move files around elsewhere.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Boxersoft
I couldn't see a 'public' directory at all using the Control Panel's File Manager. I can see one using an FTP client but when I try to open it I get an 'access denied' error, although I seem to be able to copy and move files around elsewhere.

... doesn't sound good : /  maybe raise a ticket, or if you're in luck perhaps Bob P will see this and get it sorted for you Smiley
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Boxersoft
Rising Star

OK, thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your ccgi root directory ( / ) should contain (with my access permissions in parentheses)
/cgi-bin (0700)
/databases (02700)
/private (0700)
/public (0775)
.. and possibly others.
When you browse to ccgi.<my_username>.plus.com the file which will be served is index.php within /public. That is /public is the web root.
You should find the Plusnet default index.php file is in /public. This needs to be deleted and replaced with your own index file along with your test files.
David
David
Boxersoft
Rising Star

Thanks. As mentioned in another posting, I can't see /public from the File Manager Pro web appplet at all. From my FTP client (Filezilla) I can see it but I can't access it (permission denied). Permissions aree being reported in a format with which I'm not familiar. For /public it's just 'e' (01710), whereas for others it's 'flcdmpe' (0700 or 02700).
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Permissions on /public of 01710 should allow you to browse its contents as owner (though not as group). I wonder if directory ownership is not set correctly. Does FileZilla show ownership is incorrectly set as root/root (0/0)?
If you display remote directory /, right-click /public in the top pane and select File Attributes..., then type 775 in the numeric value text box and click OK, does the change take effect.
David
David
Boxersoft
Rising Star

Filezilla shows owner/group as "488183 50" on everything directly under root (/). With root selected if I right-click /public in the top pane the context menu has File Attributes (and everything else) greyed-out.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The owner id number is similar to mine, and group id matches mine. So it looks like these are OK. The context menu being greyed out makes me think ownership and/or permissions on / might not be set correctly.
Unfortunately I don't think you can check these using FileZilla or the File Manager tool; due to the holiday it could be Tuesday before these can be checked. Sad
David
David
Boxersoft
Rising Star

OK, thanks. I raised a ticket yesterday so I'll wait and see what comes from that.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've just updated your support ticket. Shouldn't take too long to fix.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Boxersoft
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Shouldn't take too long to fix.

I didn't think so either, but it's now eleven days later and I'm still waiting. Very disappointing  Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The problem was fixed back on the 7th. Apologies nobody informed you.
I've just replaced the holding page index file in /public and it's displayed when browsing to your CGI website address so it all looks to be working.
Shout up if you encounter any further issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Boxersoft
Rising Star

<groan> OK, better late than never. Thanks for getting it sorted.